Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Will I regret if I choose…
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

… a 29er Scandal over a 29er Karate Monkey?
    Singlespeed, no racing (maybe the SSWC, maybe not even that), light weight and comfort for long hours in the saddle, no suspension but discs. I want comfort, reliability, light weight and speed. Will be buying a 16″ frameset, the bits are already chosen (XT, Bonty etc.). Will do some road stuff, some off-road, hills mostly rather than mountains.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Scandal will be lighter and more forgiving.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I’ve not tried a Scandal but I do own a Karate Monkey and whilst I love it even I have to admit that it’s a tad portly and a bit of a pig when the trail points upwards.

That said it seems pretty bombproof and can be built up pretty much any way you want it. It’s also pretty comfy and handles nicely.

TooTall
    Free Member

Had a ScandAL for 4 years – brilliant bike – you’ll be well happy with it for what you describe.

Hairychested
    Free Member

So the old “steel is real” saying doesn’t apply here? I ride a 456SS off road as it’s comfier than my last alu bike (Marin B17). I’m tempted to go for comfort.
    Is there anything else in a similar price range that I should consider? My problem is being short – 5’7″. I want to buy something for keeps.

D0NK

So the old “steel is real” saying doesn’t apply here?

What you do with the tubes makes a bigger difference than what they’re made from.

Hairychested
    Free Member

What you do with the tubes makes a bigger difference than what they’re made from.

Lovely 🙁 I’m more confused now.

D0NK

You can make ali frames flexy and comfy and you can make steel ones harsh.

Ali doesn’t like being repeatedly flexed so frames used to be made with fat tubes and were harsh.
    Steel can flex no problem so frames were spindly flexy things that were comfy.
    Nowadays you can get ali frame with some comfy flex and solid fat tubed steel bikes that will batter you.
    but generally/traditionally steel is flexy and ali is harsh.

*all my material knowledge comes from mtb mags so is no doubt deeply flawed.

tk46hal
    Free Member

I have two 16″ 29er Scandals, one S/S and the other geared! Best bikes I have owned ever!

rOcKeTdOg

29er scandals are quite tall! 😉

26-29 by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

Hairychested
    Free Member

My uncle installs lifts, I might need to get one 😀

KINGTUT
    Free Member

So the old “steel is real” saying doesn’t apply here?

Doesn’t apply anywhere, it’s bollocks.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Will I regret if I choose…’ is closed to new replies.