Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Will I regret getting the wifi-only iPad? And 32 or 64gb?
  • colinmac
    Free Member

I’ve got a 32gb iPad3 wifi model – more than ample – but I don’t download loads of movies etc, just use streaming apps around the house.

Suggest you also take a look at the new Google Nexus 7″ tablet. Sub £200 – I got one last week, and it’s an able contender, if you ask me. I use mine more than the iPad currently…

chakaping
    Free Member

What streaming do you do Colin? Seems liek there’s loads of potential with the iPad. Might finally tempt me into the digital media age.

colinmac
    Free Member

I use the usual catch up services, iPlayer, 4OD, etc, but also run a brilliant server app on my computer called ‘Air Video Server’ – it shares all the folders you tell it to (of movies etc) and the iPad and iPhone and actually the Nexus can run an app (which cost a coupla quid, server component was free) which let you play almost any video back on the iPad.

It also works over the internet – I streamed a movie to my iPad from my home computer via a 3G myfi when camped overnight at Glentress LOL !

Who needs yonks of movies on your ipad eh? 😈

GrahamS

I recommend AcePlayer or GoodPlayer for streaming video from your media server on iPad or iPhone.

Both work very well.

No special app required on the PC – Windows Media Player can act as a server.

CaptainSlow

If you are worried about storage space for movies on an iPad get the CCK:

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57401068-285/secrets-of-the-ipad-camera-connection-kit/

I’ve a 32 GB pad and had no issues. One other recommendation I have is that you DO NOT USE iTunes Match to save space. The number of incomplete downloads from the service is appalling – it has trashed my iTunes library and I’m going to have to rebuild it unless I can find an alternative solution. Auto renew is most definitely OFF on this service… 1/5 would be a generous review from my experience.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

I have the 16gb wifi and it has been fine. If you get the compression settings right for handbrake for movies, you can get them to about 300mb.
    So you can still fit a few on there. I dont have any music on mine as Ill use my iphone 32gb for that. I liked the idea of using the ipad as a big screen sat nag, only to discover the wifi only ipad has limited gps, due to the fact the 3g radio aerial is the bit that has the good gps chip 🙁

colinmac
    Free Member

From a streaming perspective – the difference between Windows Media player and Air Video Server – AVS recodes almost any format – mkv’s in 720p or 1080p even – and adapts to varying bandwidths. Not sure about Windows Media player’s abilities – but it does mean I don’t need to transcode stuff and can simply ‘share’ my WDTV’s 1TB drive of content….

Recoding movies? So 2005, LOL !

chakaping
    Free Member

I was thinking more of streaming from iPad to TV and/or stereo.

GrahamS

streaming from iPad to TV and/or stereo

An Apple TV (set top box) handles streaming video from iPad to TV

(Or get the TV connector cable if you want to do it wired)

chakaping
    Free Member

Will investigate cheers.

Merak

I fly in the face of your Apple skulduggery, just bagged me a Google Nexus. Loving it.

GrahamS

Well.. I certainly admire your balls… 😯

Merak

Its a fair pair eh? 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Will I regret getting the wifi-only iPad? And 32 or 64gb?’ is closed to new replies.