Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Will I regret getting the wifi-only iPad? And 32 or 64gb?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Can’t see myself using it anywhere without wi-fi but with a 3G signal, ie. most biking locations barely have a mobile signal.

Fairly big saving getting the wifi only one, but has anyone regretted it?

Also what memory size did you go for and how has it worked out?

Thanks in advance.

🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

i dont.

but then i can tether to my iphone if i need to.

br
    Free Member

Will I regret getting the wifi-only iPad?

Yes, because you could’ve got a laptop for less…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    paulosoxo
    Free Member

Same here, tether to iPhone if I really need to use it.

creamegg
    Free Member

I’ve got a 32gb 3G enabled but have never got round to getting a sim for it as most places I use it will have a wifi connection available or as above can be tethered to iPhone (or just use iPhone). Memory wise I think 32 gb is plenty as you can delete films you’ve watched etc. got all my music on my iPod so don’t need it on my iPad.

rooo
    Free Member

I got a 3G one at Christmas, but never used the 3G bit. Better to spend the extra on storage. Tetherings the way.

chakaping
    Free Member

br – why do you waste your time?

🙄

chakaping
    Free Member

Planning to use for films, web, editing video and wife will probably want a few games btw.

Frankers
    Free Member

I have 64gb as I load loads of films for holidays, so 32 or 64gb non 3G would be most recommended

I also have a laptop (works) and MacBook pro, but for general surfing, reading and using on holiday I only use my iPad

chakaping
    Free Member

I thought price-fixing was illegal in this country.

Very hard to buy the 64gb wifi model for anything other than £559 (from a reputable seller).

jayallen
    Free Member

I have a wifi only 32gb used it everyday since I brought it (pretty much first week out) and its the best thing I’ve ever brought. Still got loads of space with 5 pages of apps, god knows how many books, music and films.

If you have an iPhone just use the 3G on that by tethering it to your iPad (not as scary as it sounds) takes about 1 min.

You’ll have no regrets at all

br
    Free Member

br – why do you waste your time?

You asked for advice.

Slogo
    Free Member

I’ve got the 32gb 4g

I’m away a lot and it’s easier to buy a sim card so I’ve got roaming and email access abroad.

While i just use the phone for emergencies.

Smudger666

64gb and 3G here – never got a sim for it – wifi and tethered is fine – use it out and about for work quite a lot.

Takes an extra 15 seconds if I want it to go online.

DT78
    Free Member

So the 16gb is a no then? Had almost made my mind up too…

jayallen
    Free Member

DT78

16gb ok my partner has one, just have to a carful of what you store on it as you obviously don’t have so much space.

Depends if you want to hold music, films and pictures on it in any great quantity

galactus
    Free Member

I’ve used my 3G iPad many times on the moors,never had a problem with the signal.
    Really I think having both of the options was what appealed to me with the iPad
    keeping all bases covered 😀

GrahamS

As above really. I just tether to my iPhone if I need 3G (most smartphones can act as hotspots).
    The only thing you might miss with the wifi one is GPS, which is only on the 3G one.
    But location by wifi triangulation is usually “good enough” to get your rough position in towns.

I have the 64GB one as my 32GB iPhone was already full.

If you are sticking on movies or large apps and maybe some OS maps then they can eat space.

trail_rat
    Free Member

16gb would be fine for a house bound ipad i reckon.

editing video on an ipad ? limited non ?

i bought the 64gb but what i do usually before i go on a long trip (4-6 weeks normally) is open itunes – delete everything and then let it random fill with movies/tv series

My music goes on my phone.

and i have a HDD media player as well with 320gb on.

Horses for courses but it does make a difference when your stuck abroad and your works laptop wireless and sound doesnt work and IT wont help …..

hugor
    Free Member

I have the 64GB and its about half full so I’m glad I didn’t get the 32GB.
    I have lots of reference books for work and about 10 films on it.
    I do have a fair few apps but no real massive ones.
    I really don’t use the 3G function much and its so damn slow in some places that I can’t be bothered and just wait till I can get to a wifi hotspot.
    I only have a few music albums on it as above my ipod does the rest.
    I just bought my partner a new ipad and I got her what I would recommend you which is a wifi only 64GB version.

shotsaway
    Free Member

I’ve got a 16GB wifi only iPad . I felt that I didn’t need 3G and it is fine with Wifi only. To be fair it only leaves the house on holidays or when the kids want to play games on it.

The only thing I would do is get the biggest capacity (64GB). That’s my only regret that I bought a 16GB. Music isn’t a problem as it is stored in iCloud and I play it directly from there via wifi. Same with films/TV. The only issue I have is that when I went on holiday last (the place didn’t have wifi), I had to be selective about the music and films I loaded as 16GB doesn’t go far.

I also occasionally need to delete stuff from the iPad to enable me to download something new.

galactus
    Free Member

I must say jail breaking my iPad made the biggest difference to me 😀
    Can now do so much more…simple things like compressing movies so I can have a lot and not eat the memory.
    I could only afford the 32gig.

wallop

I have a work iPad. I travel by train a lot, so I bought a 3 month data sim card from amazon for a tenner – I now have unlimited internets on the train 😀

My data allowance on my phone isn’t enough to give me unlimited browsing whilst travelling, so this is a great solution. If I leave my job anytime soon I’ll have to buy an iPad though 😕

pebblebeach
    Free Member

My wife has a 3G iPad and she does use 3G but its not needed if you have a phone you can tether the iPad to.

CountZero

I’ve got the 64Gb 3G version, mainly because I had been left money so I could afford it, but I use maps a lot, I have the whole Viewranger UK 1:50 k map DVD loaded onto it, plus CoPilot Live and UK Map, and I load the photos I take straight onto it because it’s easier to view them, and they’re then viewable on my phone and Mac via photostream. Got well over 1000 on it at the moment.
    I do some editing with various apps like Filterstorm and Snapseed on it as well. It’s just brilliant for photos.
    Got stacks of books on it as well.
    [edit] just checked my disk space, and this is what’s used at the mo’:

FeeFoo
    Free Member

My 64gb one is half full after only 2 months use. Lots of video though.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Can you skype with these ipad 3 versions and how much for a 32/64 gb wifi respectively?
    Gonna take the plunge into Apple as laptops are not worthy of the cost per quality debate.

hugor
    Free Member

I skype with my ipad 2 over wifi. I dont get good enough speed on 3G to be able to do it well.

franksinatra

can you tether to an android phone?

Guy in Tescos told me today that they are launching interest free credit on ipads in a couple of weeks time.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I’m still rocking a MK1 32Gb 3G and for the first year or so didn’t have the 3G activated, but I got a data plan for it before the summer and love it! My iphone gets used for Wikipedia, Facebook, Skype, Weather etc and the pad gets used for Netflix and Hbo streaming and it’s tethered to my car stereo for streaming Pandora radio. It seems to work out great for data usage as i’m not always going over my phone data limit every month. 😀

GrahamS

Can you skype with these ipad 3 versions

Yep. Or use Apple’s FaceTime (for iOS-to-iOS calls).

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Ok cheers guys, on the list to get before I don’t fit into apple age criteria of the hip and young.

😛

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheers guys. think ill go for the 64gb wifi model.

anywhere I could get a deal buying a galaxy s3 handset at same time?

sqweek
    Free Member

I had the same dilemma, but GPS was the driving force me to buy the the 3G version. I use memory map for ipad and google maps and it’s great to know exactly where you are.
    If you are a map man like me then tag on the 3G at this point rather than regretting it later.
    Incidentally, I never planned to, but I did go for a data contract in the end and have never regretted it; the pad will suck your phone dry of power on tethering and it’s great to be able to use your pad pretty much anywhere.

GrahamS

GPS was the driving force me to buy the the 3G version. I use memory map for ipad and google maps and it’s great to know exactly where you are.

How do you practically use it for that though?

It seems a bit big to mount on your handlebars or stick to the windscreen of your car. And for walking etc I think I’d rather use something a bit smaller.

Cougar

can you tether to an android phone?

Yep. A wireless hotspot is a wireless hotspot.

happynicky
    Free Member

if you always go trips for business,i suggest you to buy 3G one,and 32/64gb. if you just use it at home or the places have wifi,then you can go with wifi one,32/64gb. the best is 3g+wifi ipad,64gb, no matter where you go,you can enjoy with it 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

Got the wifi 64gb one.

Already wondering how I managed to live without it.

CountZero

Chaps king, check out Skysurvey, the Milky Way app shown on Horizon last week. It really shows off the Pad screen.

chakaping
    Free Member

Will do cheers

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Will I regret getting the wifi-only iPad? And 32 or 64gb?’ is closed to new replies.