Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • will i really notice a carbon post on my rd bike?
  • sefton
    Free Member

before spending £100 on a carbon post – will it actually make a difference in dampening rd noise or will it be a tiny improvement that’s hyped up to death

wwaswas

you’ll notice it over a 30mm+ alu one, less so with a smaller post.

It is still noticeable with carbon but I prefer Ti, tbh, for a bit of extra cush.

crikey
    Free Member

Not as much as letting 5 psi out of your tyres.

It’s a stick. It may have some other properties, but it’s basic function is to be stick-like, regardless of what it’s made of.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

I just got one from the classifieds the other week.

I think there’s a perceptible difference in comfort and flex from it. Plus it’s quite a bit lighter, if you’re into that sort of thing.

But then I would say that, wouldn’t I? I’ve just wasted 60 odd quid otherwise.

TiRed

What saddle? I replaced a carbon Easton with an alloy Dura Ace on a small tubed Ti bike with a Flite Ti. Made no difference (aesthetics aside). Putting the carbon post on my hardtail SS made a HUGE difference.

Do it for weight and looks, but expect to see little change in feel.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m having a collars/cuffs dilema.

Head says:
    Canyon VCLS post, Ritchey alloy WCS stem and carbon bars (or possibly Deda, basicly anything balck and white)

Heart says:
    As a bove but a full compliment of ritchey or Deda.

On the one hand the Canyon post is suspposed to be really noticeably comfortable (and damped compared to Ti). On the other hand my main reason for filddling with the curent setup is to move away from the visualy unappealing mish mash of bits I have now!

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I’ve a Deda SuperZero carbon post and the main reason for getting it was vanity, it looks beautiful, there’s a small amount of added comfort and a good 100g or so off the weight of the last post, but not a huge difference for the amount they cost. Carbon bars help as well, but again, not a lot of difference for the amount they tend to cost.

Kryton57

I’ve a second hand EC70 you can have for £40 posted if you want a cheaper experiement. Its inline though.

STATO
    Free Member

It all depends on what carbon post you buy, what alu post you have and how much is sticking out of the frame. Ive had alu posts that are much better or similar to a £100 carbon post. I dont find USE carbon to add that much comfort, the best posts ive had are an Easton and a Specialized Zertz (which was £25 off ebay and is awesome!)

unovolo
    Free Member

I have a carbon 3T post on my road bike ,definitely more comfortable than my Singlespeed Roadbike which has a alloy Control-tech post.

Kryton57

You could try Canyon’s VCLS post, much recognised for its comfort, here :

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/shop/?category=F07&item=25214

£78.

dharmstrong
    Free Member

VCLS post feels comfortable to me (but could also be the effect of the canyon frame as well) compared to other seatposts I have had on a roadie

ransos
    Free Member

Surely the saddle will make far more difference.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Surely the saddle will make far more difference.

Depends, it’s a bit like saying having a poo saves more weight, you could have a light bike and have a poo. You could have a saddle you find comfortable and a seatpost that smooths out the ride. Or you could let 5psi out the tyres and add rolling resistance, or you coud run them rock hard and go faster.

Bear in mind you can get a bike for £79 in halfords, spending £80+ on a seatpost is well into the realms of marginal gains!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes, if you get catastrophic carbon failure as I did last year, sending me flying across the road! Changed to alu seat post and have noticed no difference apart from my own peace of mind!

mrmo
    Free Member

Yes, if you get catastrophic carbon failure as I did last year, sending me flying across the road! Changed to alu seat post and have noticed no difference apart from my own peace of mind!

never seen pictures of cindy whiteheads bike then?

seatposts snap, material doesn’t matter.

higgo
    Free Member

I have snapped alu bars and seatpost but never carbon.

One event doth not a trend make

crikey
    Free Member

THM, have you thought about a diet?

bonchance
    Free Member

MTB experiences fwiw

400mm vintage ec70 27.2 layback post kept me riding a stiff old hard tail for quite a few years. Visible spring!

Haven carbon ok in 400mm 27.2 zero setback much better than Thomson for me back- but not ‘wow’ like the old one.I wonder if the lack of setback is a factor, although Haven post seems stiffer al together.

Wish I’d seen the van nic posts at 134eur afore I bought the Haven 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I did some research studying ice hockey sticks and the players prefered them just befre they snapped as they became whippy as the fibres broke free from the resin, maybe that’s what was happening in your old post, it was getting springier the older it got.

bonchance
    Free Member

they became whippy as the fibres broke free from the resin

🙂 I may never know how close to a pierced chamois I was.

Certainly could explain the feel and the warranty limitations..

bonchance
    Free Member

Is this post mainly about….

Best bait for drawing whiny cockbags out – and close enough for a positive ID – I reckon..

aP
    Free Member

I think that the actual answer you’re looking for is…. no, you won’t notice a difference.

cycleofaddiction
    Free Member

I noticed a difference !

Northwind

I didn’t notice a difference. But then I have a cast iron arse.

bonchance
    Free Member

charliedontsurf

Seat posts are a part of the frame, and their properties can be felt, just like the frame tubes can be felt.

I like a good ti post as they smooth out the ride considerably, as do t rails. But I keep bending ti posts.

On some stiff frames it is very much needed.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have an inline USE titanium post with an old Sell Italia Flite gel flow with titanium rails.

There is quite a bit of movement if I push on the back of the saddle, which might have something to do with the titanium rails, something to do with the post, something to do with the split construction of the saddle shell, and also the rails have an elastomer suspension at the mount point to the saddle.

http://www.selleitalia.com/se_it3/prodotti/road/pagina_flite/

The newer flites have bigger rails so won’t fit my old USE post.

The post has no layback and is mounted in the middle of the rails – if it had setback it would mount near the end of the rail and so I don’t think would receive any ‘give’ from the rails.

hels
    Free Member

Surely the more pertinent question is, will your wife notice you spent £100 on a seatpost ?

brassneck

I noticed a difference on an alu frame with a Speccy zertz insert post. Probably not worth the cost of the post, though there was also a weight saving over the OEM seat pin, and a saddle change made more difference to overall comfort.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just got back from my (much delayed) maiden ride on my new* road bike. The seatpost was swapped from a cheep alu one to the Canyon VCLS. Same wheels and tyres and saddle. It’s seriously smooth. To the point that I kept thinking I had a puncture. So that post is definitely a significant change.

*Ok, very thoroughly serviced with new bars, stem, tape, cables, outers, brakes and blocks, pedals, and seatpost, and everything else’s been stripped, cleaned and re-built. So it’s good as new. I deliberately left the old wheels on to make the comparison fair.

sefton
    Free Member

forgot about this post, I bought some easton ea90 carbon post & bars from merlin.

I can feel a difference, its a smoother ride now!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘will i really notice a carbon post on my rd bike?’ is closed to new replies.