Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • will I pay vat if I buy a bike from Germany?
  • skeff10
    Free Member

As above, will i have to pay extra eg import/vat. from a shop not private sale.
    cheers

scotroutes

No – you pay the German equivalent and it’s already included in the price.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

No +1.

cp

no

deadkenny
    Free Member

Or to contradict the above…

Yes you pay VAT.

But nothing extra on import.

As an EU citizen you pay VAT in the country you buy from, if it’s within the EU.

So yes you pay VAT, but you pay it to the Germans and there’s nothing else to pay on import. There is also nothing you can claim back.

VAT varies in each state, so you may be paying less or more than in the UK.

No duty though. Only duty on within EU imports are on large amounts of booze etc, but it’s a high allowance these days.

igm

Depends.

UKIP supporters are required to pay UK VAT and import duty as they oppose the EU.

oliverracing

UKIP supporters are required to pay UK VAT and import duty as they oppose the EU.

which ever party make this a policy will get my vote!

andytherocketeer

19% in germany

nickdavies

See the box at checkout marked vat number? Put your workplace delivery address in and their vat number. Boom, no vat! 😈 The government will never check!

skeff10
    Free Member

Cheers fellas

warpcow
    Free Member

No, but the amount of VAT depends on how much they sell to the UK. If their total sales comes to more than a certain amount (a few 100-thousand Euros iirc) then they have to charge with the equivalent of UK VAT rate.

RoterStern
    Free Member

19% in germany

Not for everything. Books, magazines, flowers (!?) and certain foods you only pay 7%.

andytherocketeer

was assuming the (bike) order wouldn’t contain flowers 😉
    tulips won’t be up just yet, and they’re best from holland anyway.
    can’t beat UK for VAT rate on books.

Creaky

See the box at checkout marked vat number? Put your workplace delivery address in and their vat number. Boom, no vat! The government will never check!

I wouldn’t rely on that. The reason the German business is asking for a VAT number is so they can report the sale to their tax authorities who can then pass the information to the UK authorities. I have been present at a VAT inspection where the HMRC man turned up with a list of sales made to the UK business by EU businesses. He then wanted to be shown how these sales had been recorded in the books of the UK business.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘will I pay vat if I buy a bike from Germany?’ is closed to new replies.