• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Aus.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Will I have trashed my bike lights battery?
  • Aus
    Free Member

Accidently left my Lumicycle NiMh battery pack on charge (trickle) for a week … will I have knackered the battery? And any remedial action needed?

wwaswas

best contact LumiCycle as it may depend on how the charger behaves but if it were me I’d cycle it a few times from full to not quite empty and see what the results were.

stumpy01

I thought the trickle charge was such a low rate you could leave it on without damage.

Best to give Lumi a ring though to check. They are very helpful.

aracer
    Free Member

I thought the trickle charge was such a low rate you could leave it on without damage.

Unfortunately NiMH batteries (unlike NiCd*) don’t like any sort of overcharging, even if it’s a trickle, so you will have done some harm. Ignore wwaswas’s advice – cycling the battery won’t do anything in this situation (apart from wear out the battery a bit more). You won’t have completely knackered it though, just reduced the capacity (and the lifespan) a bit, so just use it and be prepared for it to cut out a bit sooner.

* one of my bugbears is all the commercial rechargeable things (eg cordless phone, baby monitor) which have continuous trickle chargers and come with NiMH cells when NiCd would be far more suitable, resulting in worn out batteries which don’t hold their charge.

incognito
    Free Member

I’ve left mine on for months, the website says 24 hours. assuming it’s the smart charger of course, it’ll be fine.

Aus
    Free Member

thanks all … had a shortish ride last night 1.5hrs with both lights on continuously, and no fade at all so fingers crossed they’re not too harmed 😕

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Will I have trashed my bike lights battery?’ is closed to new replies.