Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Will I get any benefit from a cadence monitor?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

The GPS unit I have (a Mio 105H with heart rate monitor) has the option to link up to a cadence sensor.

Aside from on the turbo trainer when Sufferfest recommends a cadence, is there any benefit – assuming training uing heart rate zones?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

On road bike certainly.

On MTB can’t really see the point as much.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Yes, its for the road bike.

I vaguely understand that higher cadence is better for longer distances, and you can tell the difference between barely turning the pedals in a high gear versus nearly spinning out, but what good will it do me, for example, to know that I’m spinning at 75 as opposed to 80; or 105 Vs 110?

What I’m really asking is, will having cadence data give me some useful information to help me get faster or fitter? Or even just vary training sessions?

Or is it of more benefit in conjunction with a power meter?

kcr
    Free Member

If you are stuck in a habit of pedalling a very low cadence, the cadence meter may help you re-educate yourself, but long term it is probably not very useful.
    Typical road cadence is probably 80-90 rpm, but the “ideal” cadence is an individual thing, so don’t get too hung up on pedalling at a specific rate.

Haze

I don’t ride by it when I’m out it’s just information, but definitely use it a lot on the turbo trainer for maintaining & adjusting effort.

I tend to push harder gears on the turbo and spin more when I’m out.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Long story – in general I think there is a large body of opinion supporting cadences 85-100 etc. I was traditionally more of a low cadences crank it out like jan Ulrich rider but followed tri- coaching consensus and now try to ride at 90-95. Took a bit if getting used it by now feel happier at higher cadence. I have transferred this (higher cadence) to running and swimming which suggests that it is a personal thing – either that or I had got lazy in my old age.

Still can’t help wondering is there is too much emphasis on this. It seems to me that the high cadence gospel was driven largely by Armstrong and was created FOR. HIM for a specific reason ie his lungs were strong but his muscles weren’t after chemo. I am not sure it suits everyone, but going back to OP would suggest upping a bit!

imnotverygood

The main drawback with the Garmin 800 which has a cadence sensor, is that you really need to know your average cadence on a ride if you want to change it. The drawback is that it will only give you an overall average including when you freewheel, so to me that isn’t a lot of help.

mrchrispy

I agree with kcr, short term yes but long term no.
    helps you get a feel for different cadence but once you have it sussed its pretty pointless.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Think I’ll save myself £40 then! Seems that if you’re fit enough to go the distance at your own preferred cadence then what does it matter if you’re not riding long distance day after day like in a tour.

Shred
    Free Member

My cadence is lower than the “accepted” norm, I feel most comfortable at about 75rpm.

I’ve tried to raise my cadence on the turbo with limited effect. On the road, I end up reverting back to my comfort zone.
    My opinion is that it is personal, not a magic number.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

The main drawback with the Garmin 800 which has a cadence sensor, is that you really need to know your average cadence on a ride if you want to change it. The drawback is that it will only give you an overall average including when you freewheel, so to me that isn’t a lot of help.

There’s a setting called ‘ignore zeros’…something like that, buried in the incomprehensible menus…anyhow, that’ll ignore the data when your cranks aren’t turning and give you a proper average.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Will I get any benefit from a cadence monitor?’ is closed to new replies.