Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Will I die? [Shimano road groupset mix and match query]
  • jfletch
    Free Member

The Sora 9 speed STI levers on my road bike are borked but the rest of the kit is fine. So I have a plan.

Buy some new 10 spd 105 STIs, a 10 speed cassette and chain. My research tells me this is fine, the 9 speed tiagra rear mech has the same cable pull ratio as the 10 speed so it will work OK. Won’t it?

I can’t see any reason the 105 Double STI won’t work with my Sora compact front mech.

So my issue is with the spare back wheel I use on the turbo trainer. It has a 9 speed cassette. I don’t want to buy another 10 speed cassette just for the turbo. What will happen if I run the 10 spd set up with the 9 speed cassette? Obviously it won’t shift properly but thats not really an issue on the turbo. Will any other mishaps befall me or my bike?

molgrips
    Free Member

You will die, yes, but not because of that.

jfletch
    Free Member

billytinkle – Thanks, looks interesting but still £40 more than my option and the FD in those kits is braze on when I need a clamp. I’m sure Merlin would switch for the correct one but I’d still prefer not to go that far if I don’t have to.

mboy
    Free Member

If you want a 10spd cassette just for a turbo, I have one you can have for £10+postage. It’s a 12-27 105 cassette, the top 3-4 cogs are quite worn but that won’t be of any consequence on a turbo, as the smaller 5-6 cogs are all in good condition and this is where you will be on the turbo anyway.

You may find it cheaper/better/easier in the long run just to buy a cheap 10spd group set off the likes of merlin than go down the route you describe, that said, I can’t see any reason why what you describe shouldn’t work.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Will I die? [Shimano road groupset mix and match query]’ is closed to new replies.