Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Will I die if I turn a fridge on immediately??
  • dashed
    Free Member

Got to move a full height, glass doored drinks later – will be on its side for half an hour in the car then stood back up and I could do with it up and running asap. I’d heard you’re supposed to leave fridges for 24hrs prior to turning them on – true? Or can I give it an hour or two to settle then turn it on??

IHN

You won’t die, but the fridge might. Definately leave it as long as possible.

w1zard
    Free Member

The delivery guys seem to be saying more like 2-3 hours now, rather than the 24 hours they used to say. Regardless, you shouldn’t switch it on immediately, it’ll likely damage the fridge.

Something to do with non-compressible liquids (oils) migrating into the compressor. Which then can’t compress. And it breaks.

finbar
    Free Member

I turned my dehumidifier on immediately after moving it the other week, and it died. I had to replace the capacitor.

joao3v16
    Free Member

New fridge delivered last week – deliveryists said leave it for 4-5 hours before switching it on

mrlebowski
    Free Member

You’ll kill the fridge & likely take us all with you… 🙄

spooky_b329

I reckon I turned my fridge on too quickly after bringing it home from the shop. It has always gurgled since, its about five years old! That, or they really aren’t suited to being transported on their side.

stumpy01

We bought a new freezer recently & it said to leave for 4 hrs before starting or it can knacker the compressor.

rocketman
    Free Member

Strange that. We bought a new fridge freezer several years ago and the delivery blokes bought it in, unpacked it and switched it on straightaway to make sure it was working 😕

maccruiskeen

I’d heard you’re supposed to leave fridges for 24hrs prior to turning them on – true?

it could be – but the gas used in refridgerators is different now that CFCs have been phased out so its a matter as to what kind of fridge the advice is referring to. You should be able to google for instruction manuals for the make and model of fridge you’ve actually got and refer to the advice in there

whats the rush to get it running so quickly?

Cougar

He wants to sit and chill.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Will I die if I turn a fridge on immediately??’ is closed to new replies.