Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Will I die? (Electrickery question)
  • MrNice
    Free Member

My kitchen has inadequate heating so I’ve bought an electric plinth heater. I was intending to fit a 3-pin plug and use a free socket but the instructions that came with the heater say to have a qualified electrician, who is a member of the NICEIC and who will comply with the IEE and local regulations, connect it using fixed wiring via a double pole switched fused spur outlet. is this really necessary? or will my plan result in me dying for the second time in a week?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

If you’re dead who’s paying the fee?

sandwicheater

Does it come with a plug?

EDIT: Can i have your bikes if your die?

wwaswas

If it causes the electric to trip it’ll be the Plinth of Darkness.

igmc

MrNice
    Free Member

it doesn’t come with a plug

MrNice
    Free Member

If it causes the electric to trip it’ll be the Plinth of Darkness.

😆

footflaps

What is it’s current rating?

If it’s 13A or less, just stick a plug on the end of the cable.

And yes, you will die. Eventually.

nickjb
    Free Member

It’ll be better to wire it into a switch fuse outlet. You can spur this from an existing socket on the ring but it an awful lot more work than fitting a plug. It’d probably be fine with a plug and correctly rated fuse but failure to follow the manufacturers instructions may be an issue with insurance if it does burn the house down. Your house, your call.

EDIT: Just to add, if you do fit a plug fit a good, branded one, not a pound shop special. Some cheap ones really aren’t up to higher current draw for prolonged periods.

rocketman
    Free Member

Personally I wouldn’t hesitate but I work with some serious electricity and have a cavalier attitude to health and safety and wiring regulations

ourmaninthenorth
    MrNice
    Free Member

it says use 13A fuse in the outlet. this is why I was figuring a plug would be OK. it’s not any more powerful than a stand-alone electric heater I have

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Will I die? (Electrickery question)’ is closed to new replies.