Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Will I die? (cable-actuated disc brakes q)
  • theboatman
    Free Member
    medoramas
    Free Member

“Cable actuated hydraulic integrated brake”? 😕

You’d be better off buying my old set of Shimano M505-M447! 8)

theboatman
    Free Member

Might be a bit of a pfaff getting those Shimano’s to work with Sora road levers, but thanks 🙂

medoramas
    Free Member

Haha, you might be right 😉

lunge

I’ve been tempted by those but I keep wondering about spare pads. Still tempting for £30 mind you.

davidjey
    Free Member

Plenty of other cheap-but-not-that cheap cable discs about with some reputation behind them….I’d pay another £30 for something like a set of Hayes CX Experts (I had some, they handled a season of ‘cross fine) and the piece of mind of a higher likelihood of keeping all my teeth inside my head.

tomd
    Free Member

Hmm I wouldn’t. You can get the basic Promax mechanical discs for the same sort of money. They come as stock on loads of bikes, and are essentially bombproof. They use the same pads as Avid BB5s also. Some might say that BB5s are rebadged Promaxes.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

If you’re after some cheap cable disc brakes, I’m going to have a set of TRP Spyres up for sale in the next couple of days which will be going cheap.

theboatman
    Free Member

I’m currently running some cheapo oem Bengal mechanical units, and I haven’t got any gripes about them in terms of performance, or in terms of power for general road use. I was just intrigued for £30 and I now have a set on order, so will update if anyone is interested, well, will send in injury pics from A&E 😆

tomd
    Free Member

Have you seen the ebay seller’s other items?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/tomtop_w/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

What could possibly go wrong…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Have you seen the writing on the black cap on the caliper?
    “No regulatory Function. Do not loose it”

Ahm oot.

theboatman
    Free Member

Have you seen the ebay seller’s other items?

Yes, it made accessing the 5% off two items discount interesting. But I was looking for something close fitting to juzz up my winter riding apparel 8)

Have you seen the writing on the black cap on the caliper?

Yeah, oddly it made me find them a little endearing 🙁

cp

I’ve been tempted for a while – had them in my watch list for a few months. On the face of it they use the same old school shimano pads as many other brake manufacturers.

Hopefully the folk that make them are better at engineering/manufacturing than written English.

But then Acor are less than 90 quid the pair, and well respected.

Bez

I’d pay another £30 for something like a set of Hayes CX Experts

I’ve got a shiny new set of those that I need to sell. With rotors, 160F/140R. Can dream up a price if they’re of interest.

tomd
    Free Member
    cp

I can’t understand the attraction of those vs something like these for less money?

They are both cable actuated, but beyond that all the moving parts are hydraulically actuated in a sealed environment. Avid BB7, BB5 and TRP Spyre have all got grotty for me after a few rides in mud.

mrsfry
    Free Member

My mates cousins aunt used one of those. It broke on a ride and sliced his leg clean off, causing him to lose control and plow into a school bus of orphaned piranhas.

cp

were the piranhas ok?

Del

They are both cable actuated, but beyond that all the moving parts are hydraulically actuated in a sealed environment. Avid BB7, BB5 and TRP Spyre have all got grotty for me after a few rides in mud.

can you elaborate on this?

cp

which bit? I was referring to the Acor, Juin Tech and Hope v twin systems where the cable pulls an actuating arm or piston, but beyond that the pad movement is all controlled hydraulically.

BB7, BB5 and TRP Spyre all rely on pure mechanical parts which are not sealed against the environment – so grot gets into the mechanism, which causes friction & jamming.

EDIT – The Spyre has very close clearance between the caliber and actuating arms. This gets particularly fouled up.

theboatman
    Free Member

I can’t understand the attraction of those vs something like these for less money?

I was just interested in giving them a punt really as I couldn’t find any information on the net about them, it seemed a relatively straight forward way to see what they were like and I struggle to get too stressed over most bike bits. As said,I didn’t really need a brake upgrade, and for £30 I figured I could survive the financial turmoil of them being a bag of toss. I guess if both of them decide to simultaneously explode in use, something bad could happen. But I will try and minimise the impact on any water based life forms should ultimate disaster arise from this folly.

Monkeeknutz
    Free Member

Did the OP get anywhere with this one? I’m looking at the same brakes on eBay and there’s a little part of me that thinks this is the bargain of the century while a massive part of me thinks I’ll end up in the canal.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Will I die? (cable-actuated disc brakes q)’ is closed to new replies.