Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • will i be asking for trouble riding my road bike on frosty roads?
  • kilo

“Having said that I know a fella who went over last December on some black ice on his way into work, on a slowish B road corner, Broke his Hip and was off the bike and relatively imobile for a long while as a result…”

There was a thread on tt’ing forum a year or so ago about ice and resultant broken hips, can be a very very nasty injury requiring hip replacement which iirc has a limited lifespan so one may need a couple of big op’s over ones lifetime for this reason. After a clubmate broke his hip just going slowly and hitting ice(mid thirties broke it two years ago still not fixed 100%) I tend to avoid ice and go off road instead

globalti
    Free Member

If you must ride your bike on salted roads, be sure to give it a good wash down with copious amounts of hot water with car shampoo afterwards. I find that a floor hand brush with long soft bristles is best for this as the bristles can get into all the nooks and crannies.

molgrips
    Free Member

I was out somewhere in the Surrey Hills a couple of years ago, in the dark. I was zipping along enjoying the ride when I noticed that there was thick glazed ice all over the side of the road seeping out of the verge, winking at me in the glare of my lights.. slowed me down a bit!

shuhockey
    Free Member

Currently riding 35 cross tyre on the front and a 25 road tyre and mudguard on the back. Gives me a little more confidence. Whether its any safer I dont know!!!

GrahamS

Managed 11 miles of my commute on Tuesday over some really bum-tightening ice, only to slam onto the tarmac during the last road section.

(Hint: when transitioning from road to side road remember that if said side road is bikes only then no one will have gritted it and it will be sheet ice).

May have to get myself some ice spikers. I’m currently running narrow Conti CityContact 26 slicks and they aren’t really much cop when the paths are this shiny:

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘will i be asking for trouble riding my road bike on frosty roads?’ is closed to new replies.