Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Will ghetto tubeless survive in the alps?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

A bit scared of shredding the sidewall and spraying myself with Stans no holes stuff really before having to buy new tyres at Alps prices.

Kenda Nevegral 2.35’s on 729 rims

uplink
    Free Member

If you’re going to shred sidewalls – what difference will have a tube in them make?

solamanda
    Free Member

Why run DH rims with xc tyres? Too late but DH tyres on xc rims would be a better balance. Ghetto was fine for me 10 weeks in the alps but using dual plys.

MrNutt
    Free Member

pack a few tubes?

or fork out for some UST kit? 😀

Vortexracing

I’ve got some 2.5 HR maxpro60 Dual Ply here Coolhand.

Got them off the brother in law, very good nick. They would be ideal for the alps.

yours for £15 if you want em.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

they should be fine – it was a 50/50 mix of ghetto and proper rims for my trip to spain, and those with the ghetto fared just as well. All were still using UST tyres though for the tougher sidewalls.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’ve also got some Maxxis High Rollers, dual ply whatsits on my other wheels 2.3’s I think but feel happier on the 729 rims than DT Swiss 5.1’s (not ghetto converted)
    Vortex, I’ll take them, When you next u Rivi?

coolhandluke11 AT googlemail DOT com

AndyPaice
    Free Member

I’ve been running stans no tubes for a while now. With singleply maxxis tyres it does not take much tocut the sidewall (I was running about 25 psi) and the tyre only lasted about 4 months before getting a terminal cut in the sidewall.

dual plys faired much better (highroller/minion) but still wore on the sidewall. topping up the sealant stopped the air leak on the dual plys.

for a week or two I think either single ply (if you keep above 35 ish PSI) or dual ply tyres will last OK, but always carry a ‘stick string’ repair kit and at least one tube incase you cut the tyre beyond repair.

the tubeless ready tyres seem to be much more cut/tear resistant than non tubeless tyres

mboy
    Free Member

Defo use the High Rollers over the Kendas. Much stronger sidewalls, and work very well in a ghetto situation.

Why all the “Alps this, Alps that” worrying right now? Surely you’re not going for another 4 or 5 months?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Will ghetto tubeless survive in the alps?’ is closed to new replies.