Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • will deore v-brake levers work ok with canti brakes?
  • sefton
    Free Member

I have a flat bar cx bike with deore v brake levers – will these or any v brake levers work with cantilever brakes (eurox style)?

or will the pull ratios be all out?

cynic-al
    Free Member

No, pull is too long on the lever.

sefton
    Free Member

god dam – deore v brakes wont fit onto the fork boses

So I’d need mini v brakes and compatible levers

of some v brakes that will fit the forks.

ritchey wcs cyclocross fork btw

wwaswas

you can get flat bar levers that work with canti brakes?

sefton
    Free Member

I’ve already bought them – ripped the box…bummer

cant understand why the v brakes wont slide all the way onto the bosses?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

IIRC V Levers pulling Cantis will “work” in that you will be able to use/control the brakes. You won’t have as much power as you should, but you can probably ride it.

Canti Levers pulling V’s will “not work” as the canti levers are designed to create substantially more leverage against the cable to make up for the lesser length of the canti brakes. You’re likely to OTB.

Seeing as you have the bits – just try it. If you’re able to ride the thing, keep the setup.

Actually – I’ve just realised you’re the guy that’s can’t fit the brakes on the bosses. Seeing as you wrote that Q before this one – I am confused. Did Ritchey get back to you? I didn’t write anything more as you didn’t know the exact model/year so I wasn’t able to look it up.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/forks-rigid/product/review-ritchey-wcs-carbon-cross-32301/

Those ones did fit V’s. I suggest you take them in to a shop where they can be compared to other forks and a few brakes can be offered up to define the problem betterererrrrr.

sefton
    Free Member

no, no word from them.

its the section of the bosses I have highlighted – the v brake cannot clear the whole of this section. this section measures 5mm – the internal inside the v-brake looks like it will only clear about 3 mm.

I have some tekro v brakes lying around – I’ll try them tonight to check if its the fork or the shimano brakes

nemesis
    Free Member

I am still perplexed about that, sefton. I’ve had V-brakes on CX forks and they fine a you’d expect – I’ve never heard of different standards for canti bosses (at least not in the last 20 years).

smokey_jo

For the sake of £9 why bother trying to bodge?

I used those levers with road discs and they were a nice shape and had the correct cable pull

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Short BMX-style levers are often rather lovely….. £9, eh? 🙂

sefton
    Free Member

I’ve had trp v-brakes on columbus forks in the past without problem.

the rear fit the frame bosses fine too.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I’d wait to hear from Ritchey. If those came on the fork and the fork is new, then it might be to only allow you to use their own brakes. This might, perhaps, have a knock-on warranty effect regarding strain on the bosses or somesuch. The forks are &*$&$*^ light, are they not?

This is a very cautious approach, but seeing as I’m talking about loads of someone elses money invested, my advice is to wait a few days to be on the safe side.

WRT the BMX levers, I guess the only possible downside is that they’ll be rather heavy, and by the look of things you’re trying to be very light on this bike.

sefton
    Free Member

well the tekro v brakes off my daughters isla bike fit no worries.

so my daughters isla bike is now rocking shimano deore brakes.

cheers

robland
    Free Member

I tried some deore leavers with my cantilever brakes they have way to much pull you will just end up snapping the cable like i did.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘will deore v-brake levers work ok with canti brakes?’ is closed to new replies.