Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Will buying an iPad make me happy?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve been working away for about 15-16 months now. I should have bought an iPad when I first started but it’s too late now as I only have a couple of months left. The iPhone and iMac will have to suffice. Sheesh. It’s a hard life. 😉

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Any serious thoughts on alternatives to ipads?
    Our lapotop is dying, figure a tablet would be a good replacement for what we do with it.
    But, I can’t help wondering if non-apple ones are as good, and better value for money.
    Toying with the idea of an Asus Transformer TF300. But will I regret not going for the ipad?

GrahamS

Agreed.

Other brands are indeed available. (Though you’ll pay a similar price for a comparable set up anyway)

Anyway if I had one I would not be taking it travelling for work. I like to minimise the number of devices I take. A kindle is the only extra.

Fair enough. Depends what you want to read as above. There is a Kindle app for the iPad of course… 😉

As for the lying in bed thing – I find it extremely comfortable to slouch on the sofa with my laptop on my lap – never felt the need for an iPad then.

Well we have a netbook. We stopped using it so much when we both got iPhones. Hardly ever use it now we have an iPad. Main reason (I think) is simple ergonomics*. Can’t quite figure how you can lie on your back and read a laptop, perhaps you’re just more flexible than me 🙂

* (And of course lack of hassle: instant on, huge battery and no fannying about with Windows Updates, browser updates, virus scanners etc etc).

adrianmilleruk
    Free Member

Yes

leftyboy
    Free Member

No

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Maybe

CountZero

molgrips – Member
    phaffing around with a laptop.
    Your life is pretty well sorted if the big issue in your life is the weight of the thing you show people your photos on…

Anyway if I had one I would not be taking it travelling for work. I like to minimise the number of devices I take. A kindle is the only extra.

As for the lying in bed thing – I find it extremely comfortable to slouch on the sofa with my laptop on my lap – never felt the need for an iPad then.

When I do personal travel, I have a Vaio P series for light weight use. Does some things better than an iPad (it runs Office and eclipse for instance) but some things worse (I daren’t even try photoshop).

Having said that a newer model P series might handle it better.

Ever handed around a 17″ PowerBook, or carried one around for any length of time? Tried handing one to somebody with zero computer skills and tried to get them to scroll through a bunch of images? An iPad is a very intuitive thing for non-computer literate people to use, it’s almost second nature to use the swipe gesture to flip over a page.
    You are talking from the point of view of someone who works with, and is totally comfortable with a laptop as an everyday object. Many, many people aren’t, but you are happy to dismiss them and their use of tablet devices. Must be nice to inhabit such an exalted position.
    Oh, and typically for Adobe, their iOS version is as hopelessly counter-intuitive to use as most of their software, I much prefer Filterstorm, it has levels and curves, and a much easier to use GUI.
    See, I used to use Ps and Illustrator professionally, along with Quark, so I know how these things work, and trying to use Ps on a laptop with a trackpad was incredibly frustrating, so I always use a BT mouse.
    If I can be arsed to do any retouching these days.

JulianA
    Free Member

its the last thing I look at and touch before I go to sleep, and the first thing when I wake up.

Me too, but I tend to go to sleep later and wake up earlier than MrsJulianA

😆 🙄

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Will buying an iPad make me happy?’ is closed to new replies.