Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Will atheism ever die out and make the world a better place?
  • 6079smithw
    Free Member

With all their supposed logic and reason they think they know the answers to everything yet they only know what they’ve been spoonfed.

E.g.
    -Evolution. They just ignore every fact that contradicts that ridiculous story of primates turning into humans gradually over time. The human race was created by extra terrestrial genetic engineering/intervention, yet bring this up and you can’t have a rational conversation with one.

-Consciousness. They think it’s just a product of brain chemistry despite 1) all the evidence showing it is separate to the physical and 2) scientists can’t even locate where in the brain your mind is. Spirits in a material world? No! Everything is material!

-Monarchies. The royals are unelected and they only got there through a supposed ‘divine right to rule’. You would think by default atheists would be anti-monarchy, but they’re not. They think it’s ok that a genealogy of thuggery is qualified to lord it over us i.e. most atheists pretty much think serfdom/slavery is legitimate.

-Anything even vaguely alternative. Say ‘holistic’ and they will froth at the mouth. Have doubts about the official story of JFK, 9/11, moon landings etc? Governments never lie! The influence of secret societies in politics? Oh it’s just a harmless old boys club.

-Richard Dawkins. Ugh.

Atheists sneer at religious people, yet when faced with grave danger they will pray to any deity going. That behaviour is more deluded than the religionistas they mock.

Will the dangerous and backwards ideas of atheists ever die out?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

few beers this evening 🙂

Consciousness is just a state to keep you alive 😉
    A monarchy with no power is better IMHO than an elected puppet with no control over the rest of the elected officials (see USA when the president doesn’t have a majority – ie wrong leader of the elected government)
    Holistic? You mean BS and superstition? Prove the effect and people will listen – if you can’t prove it works then how do you know it works.
    Conspiracy – really of course it’s all faked, Neil Armstrong killed JFK to stop him leaking the plan to fake the moon landing and the pics of him giving birth to Osama Bin Laden and teaching him all the tricks in a hilarious star trek parody sketch.

Atheists sneer at religious people, yet when faced with grave danger they will pray to any deity going. That behaviour is more deluded than the religionistas they mock.

Really? Do you often trap atheists and bring them close to death to observe the behavior?

Anyway make sure you have enough tin foil and remember they are listening.

BillMC

yet they only know what they’ve been spoonfed.

Oh and believers are different are they? Why the need for all that repetition and claiming ‘blasphemy’ when something challenging is said?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    JCL
    Free Member

What facts contradict “primates turning into humans”?

BTW humans ARE primates.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Poe! Five pounds for me 🙂

legend
    Free Member

*goes off to start a war in the name of Atheism*

PrinceJohn

-Evolution. They just ignore every fact that contradicts that ridiculous story of primates turning into humans gradually over time. The human race was created by extra terrestrial genetic engineering/intervention, yet bring this up and you can’t have a rational conversation with one.

Fair point, I’d like to read through so scientific papers you have to support your theory, so feel free to post them.

-Anything even vaguely alternative. Say ‘holistic’ and they will froth at the mouth. Have doubts about the official story of JFK, 9/11, moon landings etc? Governments never lie! The influence of secret societies in politics? Oh it’s just a harmless old boys club.

Again please show me all the evidence of this – by evidence I mean proof, not some crackpot raving on the internet.

wwaswas

Agnosticism ftw.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

OK, I’m bored…

they think they know the answers to everything

It is the theists believe the above i.e. some form of deity.

Atheists (skeptics) are full of doubts and questions 🙂

RustySpanner

He was better then Rossi, fact.

loddrik
    Free Member

Atheists sneer at religious people religion

Get it right at least….

wilburt
    Free Member

OK to help me on the path to godliness could you tell me which is the true religion with an actual God or Gods?

There’s a few to choose from and I don’t want to get it wrong again.

philxx1975
    Free Member

We need a book to prove this, mr tickle to the forum please

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

successful troll is successful

118-118-smithw has got this forum’s number

leffeboy

It is indeed a quality piece of work from 6079smithw.

boxelder

Atheists don’t believe in deities, but could follow religion without deities – Buddhism? Daoism?

Here’s one deus that does exist with a message for us all

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiPP341E2rQ[/video]

Be your own dawg

thegreatape
    Free Member

He was better then Rossi, fact.

Agreed

unklehomered
    Free Member

Fine troll.

Just in case you’re even a little bit serious… #stops

Ah NO, you nearly got me, I nearly responded. Nearly…

Instead I’ll agree with you, Dawkins, Urghh!! Smug irritating man who has turned atheism itself into a religion with all the frothing at the mouth and intolerance that goes with it.

We need a new word for people who don’t believe, don’t care and just want to be left to get on with bikes/work/DIY etc…

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

We need a new word for people who don’t believe, don’t care and just want to be left to get on with bikes/work/DIY etc…

sort of like “agnostic” perhaps?

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

nice intelligent troll 😉

As for “Holistic” – in my line of work – healthcare – that is a word used by people who don’t want to consider the whole person, they want to ignore emotions/psychology/existential issues and pretend everything can be sorted by a placebo pill or fake alternative treatment. Very reductive 19th century approach in fact.

lazybike
    Free Member

Who do athiests cry out to at the moment of orgasm..

rusty90
    Free Member

OK to help me on the path to godliness could you tell me which is the true religion with an actual God or Gods?

Yes, its about time this was settled once and for all. Maybe a televised debate followed by a vote from the viewers at home? Then atheists could have one religion to not believe in, instead of a whole array of them.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Maybe, but without the woolly, “Oh I don’t believe but I’ve always been sort of spiritual blah blah blah”. Purely incidental as when the end of days comes I will be sucked up by His noodly appendages and lifted into rapture, unlike all you heathens.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

lazybike – Member
    Who do athiests cry out to at the moment of orgasm..

The person with them? Or in STW big hitter land their own hands…

and no Atheist is the word, it’s firm and right.

miketually
    Free Member

Atheists don’t believe in deities, but could follow religion without deities – Buddhism? Daoism?

Yes, they can; there are atheist Christians. You can also be an atheist who believes in ghosts, uses homeopathic remedies, believes in fortune telling, 9-11 conspiracies, and the faking of the moon landing.

Atheists don’t believe in the existence of a god or gods. That’s the only thing you can say that they definitely have in common.

[/quote]

Agnostic means that you don’t think it’s possible to know: you can be an agnostic theist or an agnostic atheist, it’s not a middle ground. People who don’t believe are, by definition, atheists.

lazybike
    Free Member

The person with them?

Don’t think I’ve ever done that..I’ll have to give it a try 🙂 My partners name is Georgina, but everyone shortens it to George..gonna be weird crying that out at the point of no return..

unklehomered
    Free Member

Then can we make Dawkins call his position of being a confrontational tit something different?

This must be how perfectly pleasant rational muslims feel when associated with IS, I wasn’t expecting this thread to be so enlightening…

miketually
    Free Member

Then can we make Dawkins call his position of being a confrontational tit something different?

I always think of it as being militant atheism. Thankfully, militant atheists tend stick to being dicks on the internet, unlike their religious militant counterparts who are generally a lot more explodey.

There are a new wave of vocal atheists appearing – Alom Shaha et al – who are far less arseholey than the last lot.

ransos
    Free Member

Atheists don’t believe in the existence of a god or gods. That’s the only thing you can say that they definitely have in common.

I think it’s better expressed as “absence of belief in the existence of a deity”. My own take is whilst I don’t deny the possibility of the existence of god, the lack of evidence means I consider its likelihood so vanishingly small, that I live my life on the assumption that she doesn’t.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Penn Jillette is a good example of an atheist who respects and acknowledges the sincerity and views of people who believe.

But after hundreds of years of millitant shouty theists saying and doing their thing, it would be a bit hypocritical of those with faith to say there’s no room for millitant shouty atheists.

aracer
    Free Member
    Cougar

I always think of it as being militant atheism.

For what it’s worth, Dawkins identifies himself as Agnostic AFAIK.

millitant shouty atheists.

Seems quite strange to me to be shouty about a lack of belief. As a semi-militant atheist myself I’m more than happy to take part in discussion and debate about it, and to oppose injustice and ‘special privilege’ in the name of religion, but I’m unlikely to be standing in a town square any time soon yelling at people that they aren’t going to hell or going round knocking on people’s doors asking if they’d heard the Good News about nothing at all.

miketually
    Free Member

IIRC, he has a 7 point scale with 1 being “there absolutely is a God and I’m certain of it” to 7 being “there absolutely is not a God and I’m certain of it”, and he says that he’s probably a 6. (In fact, I think he says that he’s a 6.9 or something.) Even the Archbishop of Canterbury wouldn’t be a 1.

Seems quite strange to me to be shouty about a lack of belief. As a semi-militant atheist myself I’m more than happy to take part in discussion and debate about it, and to oppose injustice and ‘special privilege’ in the name of religion, but I’m unlikely to be standing in a town square any time soon yelling at people that they aren’t going to hell or going round knocking on people’s doors asking if they’d heard the Good News about nothing at all.

Generally, when the religious talk about being “oppressed” by “militant atheists”, in the UK at least, what they mean is “people are making rational arguments as to why we should give up our special privileges”. Usually, it’s not about what an individual believes but about abuses of power or reduction of privilege. Often, there are religious people who agree – for example, IIRC, Giles Fraser is pretty open about thinking the CofE shouldn’t have Lords automatically given seats in the Lords.

Alom Shaha has written about preferring to focus on what we have in common – he says he’s far more likely to be friends with a religious Labour voter than an atheist Troy, for example. I’m inclined to agree with him, which is lucky because I’m an atheist who’s married to a Christian.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I really like Richard Dawkins work. His book for kids was really well written and his other works on evolutionary biology are regarded some of the best in their field.
    I think it’s unfair to accuse him of militant atheism, he has the patience of a saint at times, for proof see this.

Sometime his frustration does let him down but I think when you’ve answered the same points over and over again and been so misquoted and misunderstood it must get tiresome.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Miketually well, they could be shouty about how the world and science are awe-inspiring and beautiful enough without inventing a deity, or that assumptions that you need to be scared of retrubution by god to behave well are insulting, or that a celibate bloke in Rome saught to dictate sexual health policy in Africa… (but the current bloke seems quite good).

Cougar

As for the OP,

they think they know the answers to everything

Fundamentally false premise in your opening sentence. Atheists don’t think they know the answers to everything, quite the opposite; Atheists (and lets bundle ‘science’ in with this as it seems to be where you’re going) are quite comfortable with “we don’t know” and “we’re trying to find out” as answers. If we want an answer to everything and aren’t concerned about little things like facts or accuracy, then we have religion for that.

Evolution. They just ignore every fact that contradicts that ridiculous story of primates turning into humans gradually over time

Which facts are these?

1) all the evidence showing it is separate to the physical and 2) scientists can’t even locate where in the brain your mind is.

1) what evidence is this?

2) and? Just because we don’t know something yet doesn’t mean we get to make up any old toot to fill in the gaps.

The royals are unelected and they only got there through a supposed ‘divine right to rule’.

The ‘divine right of kings’ was, IIRC, something of Henry VIII’s making. We’ve had monarchy a lot longer than that. Not even slightly my area of expertise but I think the monarchy originally came down to who had the most land and the biggest army. These days it’s all about lineage and tradition.

Anything even vaguely alternative

Atheism, critical thinking and the ability to differentiate fact from bollocks tend to be common bedfellows. I don’t know where you get “governments never lie” from, I expect that many Atheists readily believe that governments generally are full of crap. Blind belief in what controlling bodies tell you? That’s religion you’re thinking of I’m afraid.

Richard Dawkins. Ugh.

Seems to me that the only people who ever bring Dawkins into a theological debate are the theists. They hold him up as a poster-boy spokesperson for all things atheist / agnostic whilst neatly ignoring the fact that the vast majority of Atheists care less for what Dawkins has to say than the theists do. Here’s the thing; atheism neither has nor requires a leader, pretty much by definition.

Atheists sneer at religious people,

With a few notable Woppity exceptions, Atheists generally sneer at religion rather than the religious.

yet when faced with grave danger they will pray to any deity going. That behaviour is more deluded than the religionistas they mock.

I very much doubt that many, if any, Atheists actually “pray” when in danger. They might cry “oh, Jesus!” but that’s just a cuss in the same way that one might cry “oh shit!”

Good troll, 8/10, needs more words in CAPITAL letters.

Spin
    Free Member

Because if you define atheism as the belief that there are no gods it’s impossible to be 100% certain.

DaRC_L

The royals are unelected and they only got there through a supposed ‘divine right to rule’.

The ‘divine right of kings’ was, IIRC, something of Henry VIII’s making. We’ve had monarchy a lot longer than that. Not even slightly my area of expertise but I think the monarchy originally came down to who had the most land and the biggest army. These days it’s all about lineage and tradition
    The original Kings were (probably) good leaders, who then backdated their genealogy to a particular God… e.g. the Queen can still trace her family back to Woden, although since becoming christian they’ve been less keen to bang on about it. Before that French barsteward took over, aka Bill the Conkerer, the king was elected from the most able of his family. The idea that it should go to the eldest son is a Roman idea.
    The Divine Right of Kings only became a political ideal in England during the Stuarts, so it didn’t really last long.

As far as justification for the monarchy goes the separation of powers of having military loyalties with a politically powerless monarchy is not a bad way to avoid a dictatorship.
    England tried the whole republican thing with Oliver Cromwell and ultimately didn’t like (I don’t think banning Xmas helped him any).

crankboy
    Free Member

“Before that French barsteward took over, aka Bill the Conkerer, the king was elected from the most able of his family”
    Explain that please?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

“Cougar” – Please indicate where I have sneered at religious people, or retract the accusation.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Will atheism ever die out and make the world a better place?’ is closed to new replies.