Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Will an older frame lose out geometry-wise (or other) vs a modern frame?
  • Aus
    Free Member

I shouldn't ask this as am happy with my frames, but out of academic interest.

Have 2 oldish (Dekerf) frames, one designed around 80mm and t'other 100mm forks. Both can take disc brakes. Both originally designed for XC which is 99% of what I do (and 100mm fork is ample for me). Both made from lush material and beautifully put together.

So, will they be 'less good' than modern XC frames? And if so, in what way?

Ta

nickc

Not really

glenp
    Free Member

No. Depending on where you ride, could even be better to have sharper steering.

RealMan
    Free Member

Possibly smaller strength to weight ratio?

kiwijohn

What was the question?

rkk01
    Free Member

For xc they are probably as good as, or better than, anything around now – unless you want to go down steep or steppy stuff.

I've recently craked an Airborne Lucky Strike. Very long, old school xc race geometry. During the same period I was also riding a Pace 305 and Anthem X.

The Lucky Strike was quicker everywhere except on techy downhills (where it was a very scary ride). Pace and Anthem are both far faster DH, but the Pace especially, doesn't even get close to the same climbing times.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Will an older frame lose out geometry-wise (or other) vs a modern frame?’ is closed to new replies.