Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Will an extra half a link in my chain kill me or lead to a life of despair?
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Just measuring new chain for my new HT. Usually just do it the usual way of pulling it tight round 2 biggest cogs adding a link (1") and off i go. Thing is, to get the right length and have it so i have inner meeting outer to be able to join i have to go half a link extra.

Will this be ok or should i be sorting funeral arrangements?

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

You do realise that you are meant to add two links dont you?

_tom_
    Free Member

I'd just run it one link longer as half links are a bit weaker/more prone to stretching I think. Will the difference really matter?

RealMan
    Free Member

As long as the mech still has tension at both big big and small small, just add two links.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Despair – definitely!

bassspine
    Free Member

half links are a bit weaker/more prone to stretching I think

😆

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I'd make sure you get it right. I used a newton meter to test the pressure excerted when the chain was at rest and tense and found a rating of 5.42 to be about right.

If you don't beware of riding trails where there are twigs with little hooks that might catch and snap your chainstays.

AlasdairMc

Bassspine,

Why the smiley, halflinks stretch by design? Halflink chains are beyond rubbish anyway.

To the OP, just run it with one extra link. You could run it without the extra link too, as most folk never use 3-1 anyway

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

is this a troll of a troll of a troll?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Do half links exist for 9s chains?

Dancake
    Free Member

In all seriousness, your clacker valve is going to suffer big time if you get this one wrong, dude.

Jamie
    Free Member

Well as it turned out I complete knackered the flux capacitors, but reckon it can be fixed with some kyptonite.

Do half links exist for 9s chains?

I meant….oh i don't know…probably a link?

All done now anyways.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Will an extra half a link in my chain kill me or lead to a life of despair?’ is closed to new replies.