Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Will a Zee 28t close ratio rear mech cope with 11-34 on a HT?
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

As above, I have never had a problem in the past but my chain dropped 3 times today, I’m running 1×9, 11-32, using Shram X0, so looking at ways to stop it happening again.
    I’m also looking at running a 9sd 11-34 cassette, no NW chainrings are available for my weird PCD cranks so hoping the mech will help with this.

And yes I know I will have to space out the mech to continue using my Sram shifter.

Any help gratefully received 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

I think you’d be better served by a top guide than a clutch mech without a NW ring. Zee DH has the same cage length as the FR so it can handle the chain growth of a wider cassette but the upper jockey wheel doesn’t swing out as far when moving to the big sprockets so I don’t think it will work anyway…

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Thanks, but the chain came off at least once whilst pedalling so it would of been under tension so I don’t think having a top guide would of made the difference. I’m confused by your other comment about the upper jockey wheel but that is probably me being ignorant.

Cheers.

davewalsh
    Free Member

Why bother buying the wrong mech? Just get the FR version.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Have you checked its not just your chains stretched?

chiefgrooveguru

Thanks, but the chain came off at least once whilst pedalling so it would of been under tension so I don’t think having a top guide would of made the difference.

If it’s any consolation I’m confused by this!

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I distinctly remember that at least once I was peddling & I saw the rear mech compress when I hit a bump, so I’m assuming the chain dropped from the bottom of the chainring.
    It is however very interesting that both the DH & FR versions have the same cage length, I was assuming one was shorter than the other.

What’s the difference again?
    Edit, I was specifically talking about THIS rear mech.

Cheers.

captaindanger

Chain guide or zee FR, end of.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I think I can see why you’re confused, most rear mechs specify the capacity i.e. 28t will cope with a 28t difference between sprockets, however the Zee actually specifies the biggest cassette the mech can cope with. Therefore you need the 32-36t (FR) version.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Thank you all, it makes sense now 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Will a Zee 28t close ratio rear mech cope with 11-34 on a HT?’ is closed to new replies.