Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Will a wireless computer work with the sensor on the back wheel?
  • geoffj

Trying to sort my turbo setup and seem to remember someone mentioning that it might not work on the back wheel.

Anyone?

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

I’ve got mine set up onthe back wheel for the turbo. TBH its not perfect,I’ve had to fit the sensor as high as possible on the seat stays (whilst still been in line with the spokes ) and I’ve also had to angle the actual computer vertical (as opposed to horizontal) in order for it to pick up the ‘signal’.

To be honest though unless you have a cadence meter (apart from clocking the mileage) a heart rate monitor is much more beneficial for turbo sessions.

Have a look at this website for some pretty good workouts.
    turbotraining.co.uk

drofluf
    Free Member

The manufacturers generally recommend that the sensor is within60-70cm of the display so probably not 🙁

Waderider
    Free Member

Doesn’t work with my Cateye computers.

_tom_
    Free Member

Couldn’t you just take the computer “body” off the bars and place it a bit closer to the back wheel? Or am I being stupid and missing something?

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

No need to measure speed or distance on a turbo, go for time – use time then throughout your training as it covers you for all training & riding you will do. You’ll probably end up doing more intervals on a turbo anyway, rather than sustained riding.

Example, 1 hour road ride, lets say 22 miles, 1 hour twisty singletrack, lets say 9 miles. Same intensity of riding, different mileage, but comparable in terms of fitness outcomes.

Cadence & HRM possibly more useful on a turbo.

geoffj

Thanks folks

I’ve got the HRM and cadence sorted, I just thought a way of recording distance would be useful too. Assuming the workouts are the same in terms of timings, then distance could be a way of measuring progress.

crazy-legs

Assuming the workouts are the same in terms of timings, then distance could be a way of measuring progress.

It’s useful info certainly, no harm in having it. The computer probably won’t work though, it usually needs to be within about 2ft of the sensor. The way round it is simply to mount the computer under the saddle or something – OK, you can’t see it during the turbo session but the info will be there for afterwards.

geoffj

Just ordered a Topeak with long wire kit (170cm).
    That should do the trick 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Will a wireless computer work with the sensor on the back wheel?’ is closed to new replies.