Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Will a new 4K tele be better than
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Better than my 9 year old Panasonic plasma?

Thinking of a 43″ quantum dot Samsung and replacing our 37″ plasma. Will it actually be any better though?

njee20
    Free Member

Just replaced a 32″ Sony D3000 (which was a comparatively expensive £1000 LCD in 2007) with a much cheaper 40″ 4K Samsung KU6400 and it’s far better.

So, maybe.

Drac
    TheFlyingOx

Not necessarily. My new LG is very poor at displaying dark colours compared to the 10 year old (admittedly fairly high-end) Samsung it replaced.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I upgraded my 42″ Panasonic plasma (HD) with a 50″ Panasonic LED (4K). I still have the old TV and compared a Blu-ray movie on both. Although only a HD source, the LED was a sharper picture (it up-scales well) and the colours are better – the plasma handles blacks better though.

Overall a worthwhile upgrade.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

On balance, I’ll save the money until I “need” a new tele.

Ta all.

butcher

We have one of the early Panasonic 50″ plasmas. Must be 10+ years old, but I can’t remember exactly. The picture quality is terrible. Not sharp at all. Don’t know if it’s something that has deteriorated over time, or if it’s always been like that. But I think most modern TVs would be an upgrade.

We also have a 55″ LG 4k. Massive difference. Sharp as a dart. I think connoisseurs could easily pick out faults. It’s far from perfect. But night and day compared to the Panasonic.

johnners
    Free Member

On balance, I’ll save the money until I “need” a new tele.

As the owner of a 37″ Panasonic plasma that’s exactly the approach I’m taking. My TV’s not full HD (it’s not 720 either, it’s some weird vertical number) but I think the picture’s still great for the sources I use.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I thought that it was cool on stw to profess that you don’t own a TV? There aren’t half a lot of TV threads given how few say they own one!

maccruiskeen

Theres a whole world of better written, better produced, much more entertaining television thats only available to you if you buy a new tv. If you’ve ever watching something and thought ‘this is crap’ its because either your TV is old and or because you live in Scotland.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7scMC7YSDQ[/video]

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I quite like the contrast between these ‘i know quality and am happy to pay for it’ type threads and the ‘tv is for fat old couch potatoes, I’m too busy living life to the max’ threads. And somewhere on between is the ‘ I’m watching telly to the max!’ threads

nosedive
    Free Member

Just replaced a 37 inch panasonic plasma that was 10 years old. You could spend £350 and get something far far better

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Will a new 4K tele be better than’ is closed to new replies.