Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Will a 3X10 front mech work with a 2X10 set-up?
  • strike
    Free Member

I’m assuming it won’t (due to triple mech angle/’throw’) but just want to be certain!

This would be on one bike with a direct mount front mech and another bike with a standard band-type front mech. Chain rings would be 28/40t, mounted on inner and middle ring tabs.

footflaps

yep – works fine, just set the limit screw so it can’t change into 3rd ring.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No way send it to me and I can do the mods to make it 2 speed just PayPal gift 30 quid plus postage……

strike
    Free Member

For £30 I’ll just buy a new front mech!

jairaj

If you’re using a triple crank set and removing one ring then yes it’ll work. As footflaps says, just set the high limit screw to stop it shifting into the 3rd position.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Yes it will work BUT, you might not be able to set it up to the correct hight, outter plate 1-2mm above the biggest ring, as the inner plate can be deaper (longer) on a 3spd than a 2spd front mech, and the inner mech plate can rub on the inner ring.
    The mech will still work at a high height, but you might find it doesn’t shift as crisply as before and chain might be more prone to comming off.

but saying that, mine worked OK when I did mine.

boltonjon

Although i was using a direct mount mech, lowered as much as possible, i lost the chain on every DH and it drove me insane

Not sure if you’ll get the same on a band mounted mech but would be interested in your feedback

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Will a 3X10 front mech work with a 2X10 set-up?’ is closed to new replies.