Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Will a 10 year RockShox fork be pretty rubbish Vs. today's fork?
  • Northwind

no_eyed_deer – Member

Really.. the third hit? Are you sure about that.

OK, if you didn’t read the rest of the post, that could seem weirdly specific 😆 So for clarity, it’s not just the 3rd hit, that was just a random example greater than 1.

molgrips
    Free Member

I was thinking about this yesterday, riding my Marzocchi 66 SLs from 2007. They were highly regarded at the time. Compared to 2010 revs though they are pretty sticky and the damper is quite crude. It seems to have the same compression/rebound force all the way through the travel.

When I look at modern forks in shops they are vastly more plush – not ridden a set though.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

^ Yep I guessed that, I was only kinda kidding, really 😉

chiefgrooveguru

It’s the bendiness I don’t like on a lot of older forks – not just because you feel less in control when the bars are less firmly connected to the front axle but also that the fork binds on certain hits, particularly when cornering.

tomekz
    Free Member

My 0.02

– SID Team 2007 is young enough to be equipped with quite decent motion control damping and old enough to still be dual air versus today’s solo. That means adjustability on par with or even better than most of the modern designs. One has to read the adjustment manual though 😉

– 32mm sid was quite stiff for xc. As a fork. Especially the 26″. As a system, the qr 9mm would show probably more flex, but that is not the matter of the fork’s age.

Anyway, I would not expect significant change for the better upgrading to a 2016 fork (note:I am talking about 80-100mm xc fork range!). Personally, I would trade my SID WC Brain 29’s stiffness for the adjustability of an old 2004 sid WC dual air I have on my other bike anytime.
    But I am light&tiny (below 120lb).

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Will a 10 year RockShox fork be pretty rubbish Vs. today's fork?’ is closed to new replies.