• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jb72.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • will a 10 speed front mech (roadie) be compatible with an 8 speed chain
  • djen83
    Free Member

will a 10 speed front mech (roadie) be compatible with an 8 speed chain?

My 8 speed front mech has just died. I cannot seem to find a new 8 speed one anywhere. will the newer 9/10/11 speed from mechs be designed for the more narrow chain?

Your experiences please…

Regards,
    Dave

BadlyWiredDog

Based on my experience running a 10-speed front mech with a 9-speed chain on a cross bike, the narrowness of the cage meant the chain always rubbed at both ends of the cassette.

I’m guessing the same is likely with an 8-speed chain and a 10-speed mech, though I haven’t tried it. I swapped to a 10-speed chain with a 9-speed group-set and that improved things – swapping to a 9-speed chain might help you, but I suspect you’re going to get some chain rub regardless.

drovercycles
    Free Member

Claris is the only proper dedicated road groupset from Shimano which is still 8-speed, but front mechs are readily available.

FD2400F for double braze-on
    FD2400BSM for band-on 28.6mm or 31.8mm
    FD2400BL for band-on 34.9mm

Replace 2400 with 2403 for the equivalent triples.

All in stock except the double 34.9mm band-on, prices between £21.99 and £24.99 RRP. Feel free to give us a shout and we’ll post you one if you don’t have a suitable LBS who can order for you.

I wouldn’t run an 8-speed chain through a 10-speed mech – you’ll quickly have no cage left. 9-speed would be OK, but will be tricky to stop it rubbing and given that the correct part is easily available, why would you?

jb72
    Free Member

Agree. A 10 speed mech will be too narrow, find a 8 speed one. I speak from experience!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘will a 10 speed front mech (roadie) be compatible with an 8 speed chain’ is closed to new replies.