Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Will 29 survive?
  • TomZesty
    Free Member

Not another what is best thread – I liked my old 26 bikes and I like my current 29 bikes, but can’t help wondering with if the ‘industry’ is intending on cannibalising 29 as well as 26 with 650b? Not sure I fancy downsizing now from 29 but will we have a choice in 2 or 3 years time?

Rorschach
    Free Member

yes.
    no.
    yes.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

ricky1
    Free Member

No I think everyone will go 27.5 but what do I know …………

dantsw13

29ers are huge in the US, which is a far bigger market than ours.

singlespeedstu

Is sad kitten so sad because the OP is so confused?

dannyh
    Free Member

But 29ers look **** stoopid.

chiefgrooveguru

Absolutely (says the man with one 16″, 20″, 26″ and 27.5″ bike).

chiefgrooveguru

But 29ers look **** stoopid.

In XL they look like a medium 26″. Whilst an XL 26″ looks **** stoopid.

boxelder

The death of 26 hasn’t happened, so calm down and carry on.

TomZesty
    Free Member

I’m not about to cry was just wondering. Apologies to those offended.

Baznav
    Free Member

I would not downsize from 29 now I just feel sorry for for everyone who have fallen for 650b, friends I know that have bought 650b can’t tell the difference which is not a problem because they were buying new bikes anyway but I have had great pleasure with a couple by saying I told you so when they should have bought 29 but didn’t.

Pete-B
    Free Member

But 29ers look **** stoopid

True.
    Until you get used to them and then those kiddy wheels look stoopid. 🙂

singlespeedstu

dannyh.

Do you really think any pushbike looks anything but **** stoopid?

They’re kids toys for grownups.
    How much more **** stoopid can you get than that.

I just feel sad for sad kitten.

dannyh
    Free Member

Strewth! ^^^^^^^^^^

darrenspink
    Free Member

It won’t, neither will 26 but in a few years most people will be riding 650b.

Rorschach
    Free Member

define ‘most’.Also,what will be the lottery numbers?

Rorschach
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBR2G-iI3-I&feature=kp[/video]

jameso

Sales-wise, in 3 yrs I’ll have a punt on 2-78-20 split, for 26-650-29. Give or take 2% : )

Rorschach
    Free Member

ThatswhatImtalkingaboutrighttherepeople.

singlespeedstu

It won’t

lolcanos.
    So all those people that went out and had custom 29er frames built before 29ers became freely available will just stop riding them because fasion tries to dictate to them?

I think not.

Same goes for 26ers.
    If you love it that much vote with your wallet and they’ll still be available. 🙂

Edit.
    Gloria rocks just done the settee dance to it with Mrs stu.

darrenspink
    Free Member

define ‘most’.Also,what will be the lottery numbers?

A larger percentage than the two other sizes put together 🙂

Quick reference from the states….

Sorry if I give you the wining lottery numbers II’ll have to share the prize money.

Do they make mountain bikes with different sized wheels nowadays then ?

Why did no one tell me ?

singlespeedstu

**** me it’s a bullshitbingo winners card.

I’d rather see a 70’s disco link than look at that cack.

ratherbeintobago

So all those people that went out and had custom 29er frames built before 29ers became freely available will just stop riding them because fasion tries to dictate to them?

This. You could get 650B rims/tyres/etc. (albeit a limited range) when it was extremely niche. There are now so many 29ers about that I can’t see things even going back that far.

If I had to predict, the 2-78-20 split is probably about right; if anything I think there’ll be more 29ers as 650B doesn’t really make sense unless you’ve got to package rear suspension.

singlespeedstu

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RoTKXlLHh4&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CsFYmJCqs4T3HlfsiZxx5n&index=2[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFjqDoLmW4Q&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CsFYmJCqs4T3HlfsiZxx5n&index=6[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTImG2Fk4Q0&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CsFYmJCqs4T3HlfsiZxx5n&index=8[/video]

Rorschach
    Free Member

Septics!…..who the hell listens to them?

woodsman
    Free Member

I think the industry would like it to be that way. Personally, I hope all will be available but I fear that will not be the case. We’ll have to just carry on riding our favourite bikes and find out…

nick1962
    Free Member

29ers are huge in the US, which is a far bigger market than ours.

And the Yanks and most of the rest of the world drive on the wrong side of the road too but we’ve still got RHD cars!

orangeboy
    Free Member

I’m expecting 29 to survive and be the standard for most bikes
    And 650 will take over from 26 for longer travel stuff.

For most 29 makes perfect sence and most new comers are asking for 29 so they can keep up with the people they have Started ridding with

rickon
    Free Member

And the Yanks and most of the rest of the world drive on the wrong side of the road too but we’ve still got RHD cars!

Weird comparison. Which side of the road you drive on isn’t a choice that *some* people can make, *all* people need to conform to it.

Bike wheel size is totally different.

27.5 is for numpties who thought 29 was pushed on them by the industry and not cool, they were afraid to leave their 26 wheels. Now 27.5 is cool, enduro and not scary.

26 and 29 make perfect sense in the market place, they compliment each other, and that carries over to the garage or shed.

The industry, driven by numpty consumers, have a good chance of ruining choice for the customer. E.g. you may see big brand’s am\enduro\trail bikes pretty much all in 27.5 and xc bikes available in 29 too.

That’s already happening with a lot of manufacturers removing 29 from their longer travel bikes, where they were available last year. Or, like giant, making them less and in piss poor colours so no one buys them, which justifies getting rid of them from their line up.

roverpig

Then On One make a long travel 29er and everyone wants a go!

LMT
    Free Member

I hope so, I’m a short arse who has just brought a 29er as my second bike. Although recent history shows I will keep it 2 years and then sell it off.

tightywighty
    Free Member

I’m hoping to stick it out with 26 until it comes back into fashion. I reckon they’ll do a new size in the mean time: 28.25. After all, as we all know, 29ers are ‘gay’ now.

seosamh77
    Free Member

there’s space for all three, could probably do with a 24.5″ for the midgets about. 😀

5’10 – 18″ 26 will do you

6ft – 20″ 27.5 will do ye

6’2+ – 22″ 29 will do ye.

something like that ye get the drift. point is people are different so i dont see any of them disappearing if there’s a market.

seadog101

Please stop all this.
    Just shut up about your wheel size and ride your bloomin bikes.

Rorschach
    Free Member

omg…how many times? Rider size has no direct relationship to wheel size (unless you are a midget).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Rorschach – Member
    omg…how many times? Rider size has no direct relationship to wheel size (unless you are a midget).

Closet roadies need rules to follow, it inevitable that people will try and decide that a=b=c etc. Also explains why so many people look to be on the wrong sized bikes as only using height to size a bike is laughable.

Anyway 29 is dead

http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/WINNING-BIKE-Aaron-Gwins-Prototype-Specialized-Enduro-EVO-27-5,7436/WINNING-BIKE-Aaron-Gwins-Prototype-Specialized-Enduro-EVO-27-5,74293/sspomer,2

The big S will be off to cut their 29 stock in half now.

JCL
    Free Member

Go ride a Camber Evo kids. Eats 650b trail bikes for breakfast.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

JCL – Member
    Go ride a Camber Evo kids. Eats 650b trail bikes for breakfast.

Well thats going to be useful isn’t it, get up in the morning to find the other bikes have gone. I have to say I do like my trail bikes well cooked and served with extra sarcasm like my post above.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Will 29 survive?’ is closed to new replies.