Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • will 10 spd sti's work with 9spd mech & cassette?
  • Kevevs
    Free Member

Probably a daft qustion. I'm looking to get some Sti gear/brake levers, got an ultegra 9spd cassette and mech. Will I have any probs with 10spd shifters? ta

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

yes

crazy-legs

No, they won't work.

Kevevs
    Free Member

err…

crazy-legs

I tbink Steve Austin is replying to the "will I have problems?" question. Yes you will have problems. It won't work…

handyman153
    Free Member

As crazy legs says…
    They wont work…

But to give you a reason why… 9 and 10 speed cassettes are the same depth when sitting on the freehub. So a ten speed shifter moves less in one click than a 9 speed shifter would.
    Hence if you had a 10 speed shifter on a 9 speed cassette it may work for some gears (the closer together ones) but as you get up high, around the 20 tooth mark, there wont be enough 'pull' to change the gear.

Also i have tried it, and it doesn't work…

Hope that helps
    Josh..

Kevevs
    Free Member

ahh, thanks, was thinking it'd be something like that.

andrewh
    Free Member

Cassette and shifter must be the same number of speeds, 8/9/10. Mech can be any of the above.
    7 speed mech won't work with 8/9/10 speed cassette but 7 speed cassette is fine with 8/9/10 speed mech. Hope that makes sense.

schmiken

You'll need a 10 speed cassette and chain.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

on a similar note, will a 10 speed chainset be ok if run with 9 speed cassette and shifters? or is the chain the wrong width?
    Also, if i change my chainset, does it matter what brand i get, e.g. will a campy chainset work with shimano shifters and cassette?

Sorry for hijack

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

10 speed chainset will run fine with 9 speed and yes a campag chainset will work with shimano mech and shifters

andrewh
    Free Member

What Blazin said.

My road bike has
    10 speed rear shifter (105)
    10 speed cassette (Ultegra)
    10 speed chain (SRAM 1070)
    8/9/10 speed rear hub (105)
    9 speed rear mech (XTR shadow)
    3 speed front mech (Tiagra)
    Double chainset (Tune)
    3 speed front shifter (Tiagra)
    8 speed granny ring (Sora)
    9 speed big ring (Stronglight)
    MTB BB (square taper XTR, UN91)

Works fine.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘will 10 spd sti's work with 9spd mech & cassette?’ is closed to new replies.