Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Wilderness biking – need to know?
  • corroded
    Free Member

Not North Downs or Lake District wilderness… I’m going to be doing a few multi-day rides in Australia and NZ where I might be dozens of KM from the nearest road, and that road may not have many, if any, vehicles using it.

So, what kit do I pack and what do I need to know to get myself out of trouble? I carry tubes, puncture kits, power links and a chain breaker and can use them. But do I need to carry spare spokes? Whenever I’ve twiddled around with a spoke I’ve always ended up with a wonkier wheel 🙁

I’ll be riding within my modest limits however I will be riding alone, partly because I prefer it. Thoughts please?

bedmaker

A mongoose, to eat the snakes, and a large tomcat to eat spiders.
    Try to get a mongoose and cat that tolerate each other well or else they will cause more trouble than they solve. 🙂

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

A couple of spare spokes won’t take up much room and could make all the difference. Tape them to the chainstay or stuff them up your seat pin (don’t forget to bung something in to stop them rattling etc)- you might need a couple of different lengths,either that or get a couple of these – emergency spoke
    As for the wonkier wheel – patience and practice

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Sorry – forgot to mention the mongoose

Davesport

I apologise for the brevity of my answer, but in all seriousness, if you have to ask these questions is this a trip you should be making solo ?

Good luck with you venture.

D.

jameso

Proper Ray Mears stuff? ) I’d have a think about how to fix myself as much as fix the bike, or what to do if you don’t have the ability to ride out for any reason if you’re riding alone and it really is remote. You can’t carry every spare you may need and illness / accident is as likely as the more obscure mechanicals we tend to think more about.

epicyclo

Don’t know about NZ, but I have some experience in OZ desert riding and North Queensland.

Water and more water. In the north you can be dead very quickly without water. If you start feeling lethargic or stupid, drink.

It depends how remote you’re going. Base your water needs on what would get you back to civilisation if you were walking. Always keep your water topped up when you can.

The bike – the simpler the better. Tubeless or plenty spare tube and patches if you’re venturing into an area with spiky stuff. Chainbreaker and spare derailleur hanger as well as the usual spares you may carry on a tour.

And don’t be the typical Pom who tries to get a suntan and ends up in hospital or miserably burnt – cover up, including hat.

Presumably you’ll be taking a compass etc.

Down south it’s much gentler, but it can still catch you out.

Edit: and don’t worry about snakes etc – avoid if possible, but most will get out of your way. Get out of the way of those that don’t! Also if in the north, don’t camp within 100m of a creek or remote beach (predatory water geckos).

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

You should get all your kit together before you go and trial it on some mutli day tests before you go. You will gain valuable experience and confidence.

jekkyl

A gps location device and a communication device which doesn’t rely on a mobile cell. You don’t wanna end up having to chop your hand off with a penknife!

epicyclo

Perhaps a bit more detail about where you intend to ride would be a good idea.

corroded
    Free Member

I live in Australia so I’m OK with planning for heat; it’s more the greater distances to civilisation in the event of a terminal mechanical than in the UK that I’d like to avoid. I think the wheel repair is probably the most useful skill to master and, fortunately isn’t something I’ve had to do before on the trail. My LBS can give me a refresher course – how hard can it be?

I’m pretty self-sufficient otherwise and I’ve always ridden alone. I’m not planning anything properly epic, but will be doing the Great Dividing Trail (200km) in April and the Heaphy Track (80km) in May.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Wilderness biking – need to know?’ is closed to new replies.