Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Wildboar 24 – Anyone doing it this year or are you staying clear this year??
  • skiprat
    Free Member

I understand that they have moved location, got a new course and that the track will be going through the campsite rather than being at the top of a hill suitable for mountain goats like last year!!

So is anyone thinking about doing it or is everyone steering clear?

Had a quick look this morning and it only looks like 5 teams so far…..

twinklydave

If it wasn’t on the same weekend as clic24 down south I’d be well up for it 😥

hugorune

We’re putting in 3 teams with probably 4 per team. I thought the set up was good last year and the camping rocked – just a shame about the course.

It’s in a completely different location (north lakes near Keswick) so I’m hoping they’ve taken all the slagging on board and got something exciting lined up.

mrsflash
    Free Member

I didn’t know they were running it this year, when is it?

skiprat
    Free Member

We enjoyed it last year, it was our first 24hr race and was a good learning curve for us and the Wildboar people.

From what they’ve put, it sounds like they have taken it on board and got rid of the fire roads!!

skiprat
    Free Member

mrs flash, 16th and 17 of may at Wythop Hall Estate in Keswick, Cumbria.

Stu

16-17th May. Was on the news page of this very site not that long ago:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/2009/02/wild-boar-24-mountain-bike-challenge/

Clashes with SXC round at Laggan so doubt I’ll be there but some other folk from here (Edinburgh Uni) are thinking about it.

boxelder

There’s potential for a really good course, but it will be hilly! Could well be muddy, at least in parts, too if it rains a bit. Beautiful location though – there’ll be some great views over Bassenthwaite etc I should think.

gingerflash

We may well be there, as a mixed pair.

DickBarton

Has the website been updated? I was on this morning and it is still showing 08 info…

I’m up a ferret…think there may be 3 teams of folk heading down so should be a laugh if nothing else…

gingerflash

…though moving from Grizedale may have lost them the one advantage of having the race there – no amount of rain could have knackered that course.

underthesun
    Free Member

I’ll be there solo.

Looking forward to it. Makes a changes from the other field races such as SITS and Mayhem.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

I’ve been exploring around Wythop for the past couple of weeks – fairly easy climbs on Sale and Ling Fells with nice (cheeky) descents. There’s also a nice footpath running through a small wood right next to Wythop Hall / farm (with a strange fake animal shooting range). There’s also forestry commission land over that way with regular fire roads and a nice fast descent following a c2c alternate route from Cockermouth down to Wythop Beck / Thornthwaite.

Drillski
    Free Member

Yep, sounds like some much needed changes have been taken on board. Me and little bro’ have just entered the pairs.
    Website update – this was pretty tardy last year too, and gave much cause for concern, as did poor response times for email enquiries. THANKFULLY, it just seems to be the case that they were not the hottest folks on t’interwebnet, and all went wel on the weekend.
    Looking forward to it! and tat close to Keswick , means we could almost pop into the town for a swift one between turns!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Do people really have issues with a race/event-course in the Lakes as being too hilly?
    Good grief…

Drillski
    Free Member

website now up and running, entries going in

http://www.wildboar24.com

izakimak
    Free Member

I’m thinking about doing it. Never raced before so i’m trying to get a team together. Oh and i need to sort out some lights any idea’s?

Drillski
    Free Member

try soem P7’s om your helmet. nice, effective and cheap way of trying out night racing without spending a fortune. £100 would equip a team of four handsomely! Beat that!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Wildboar 24 – Anyone doing it this year or are you staying clear this year??’ is closed to new replies.