Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • 'Wild places' for wind farms
  • matt_outandabout

Altnaharra has been given the go ahead, but it is interesting that despite wild land ‘protection’ and mapping by Scottish Government (and supported by many organisations and individuals, that Highland council and local communities are supportive.

Your thoughts – I am torn and while my first response is ‘protect wild places’, I also get the local communities pragmatic response that they need income and jobs (although the money will not go far…)

http://www.scotsman.com/news/environment/ministers-give-controversial-highlands-windfarm-green-light-1-4261055

joshvegas
    Free Member

Was it here that someone asked us to sign the petition to protect the bmnatural landscape of rannoch moor?

😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

Is there a map of wind farms across scotland? Curious to the extent of the problem, or whether it’s just nimby-ism. I quite like the ek one! 😆

Good place to take my bro and his new leccy bike to get him used to it! 😀 I went round it in my slicks it’s that smooth mind you! 😆

tjagain

Is there not already a huge artificial loch and Dam there? Am I thinking of the right location??
    I think we have enough wind power now – we need a mix of sources and I would rather future investment went into small scale hydro and tidal flow

joshvegas
    Free Member

There are maps but i’ve only stared at a paper copy of one.

I used to design windfarms… there are a few…

matt_outandabout

Was it here that someone asked us to sign the petition to protect the bmnatural landscape of rannoch moor?

It was. And I still think we need to protect many wild places. I’m intrigued by the local community response (and I know there will be objectors).

If there a map of wind farms across scotland? Curious to the extent of the problem, or whether it’s just nimby-ism. I quite like the ek one

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/energy/9645593/Interactive-map-every-wind-farm-site-in-the-UK.html

seosamh77
    Free Member

this is wind farm visibility apprently, 60%. Not actual wind farms.

matt_outandabout
    matt_outandabout

@seosamh77 – 😯

That re-enforces my ‘we must protect what we have’ starting point on all this…

seosamh77
    Free Member

cheers matt. any maps that are of actual area, ie OS map style. pin pointing kinda obscures things I bit I’d imagine.

seosamh77
    Free Member

incidentally, anyone ever stood under the blades and watched them spinning towards you, very un-nerving the first time! 😆 they’re bloody massive, whoooooshhh!

curto80
    Free Member

why do people think that an onshore wind farm is an eyesore when we have transmission wires and pylons all over the country. Have we all become so habituated to them that we just don’t see them anymore?

cbike
    Free Member

The concrete bases are pretty permanent and the contracts in place to deal with reinstatement to previous condition don’t seem to be worth very much. (According to little sis the lawyer who deals with these things, Her skeptometer is at 7)

The blades and towers have a design life and are easily removeable and probably recyclable to some extent.

I reckon you protect the famous tourist views and national parks and fling up turbines and cable cars where we can (Within reason) to improve access and the economy.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Matt

Protecting wild places are fine but my point about rannoch is the dirty great reservoir in it

seosamh77
    Free Member

curto80 – Member
    why do people think that an onshore wind farm is an eyesore when we have transmission wires and pylons all over the country. Have we all become so habituated to them that we just don’t see them anymore?

tbh the unlimited miles of managed forest annoys me more.

I also think a rather large percentage of lochs in scotland are hydro dams are they not?

bigjim

this is wind farm visibility apprently, 60%. Not actual wind farms

The key word in zone of theoretical visibility is theoretical, it is taken as the literal tip if the blade (strangely that map doesn’t differentiate between tip or hub), at 30km distance, with no account of screening by vegetation/buildings, haze, cloud etc. I’m fairly sure that map must be tip and not hub, which would give a significantly smaller theoretical visibility. I’ve done hundreds of them….

thestabiliser
    Free Member

windfarm lifetime is 30yearsish, they’re not there forever. Might be a gateway for other development, perhaps. But as a lower carbon stop gap measure onshore wind has a lot in its favour

tjagain

Pretty much so curto. I think turbines rather elegant.

as for that map – I think it nonsense. Maybe with binos from the top of hills you can see windfarms that much

I live in a top floor flat in Edinburgh with 360 degree views – I can only see one wind farm about 25 miles away and only then with binos and when the seeing is good. According to that map windfarms are in view.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Wind Turbine life is 30 perhaps.

But you can bolt a new one on the base.

seosamh77
    Free Member

bigjim – Member
    this is wind farm visibility apprently, 60%. Not actual wind farms
    The key word in zone of theoretical visibility is theoretical, it is taken as the literal tip if the blade (strangely that map doesn’t differentiate between tip or hub), at 30km distance, with no account of screening by vegetation/buildings, haze, cloud etc. I’m fairly sure that map must be tip and not hub, which would give a significantly smaller theoretical visibility. I’ve done hundreds of them….

agreed, i think it is a bit spurious.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

True but in 30-60 years will onshore wind be economically viable?

Hopefully we’ll have a better solution by then

matt_outandabout

Protecting wild places are fine but my point about rannoch is the dirty great reservoir in it

Fair point, that needs to be applied to 99% of Scotland’s land and 100% of the rest of the UK. None of our environment is ‘natural’ and ‘wild’, without effect of man all over it.

I am balancing my inner re-wilding and nature pro first response (and selfishness of enjoying being away in ‘nature’) with a pragmatic, income and job generating, land to be managed to balance competing aims outlook that I feel I should have more of…

gonefishin
    Free Member

That re-enforces my ‘we must protect what we have’ starting point on all this…

Given that it’s based on a 30km viewing distance, I’d say it’s not that bad as you’d have to be fairly elevated to see that sort of distance. The distance to the horizon is less than 5km away.

ehrob

Legally, the wild land areas thing doesn’t mean a thing. Sadly, more energy is needed, so something has to give. At the moment birds and peat enjoy EU protection, and this one is just far enough from Forsinard for RSPB not to kick off about it.

My view is that this is a good result for the local community. Hopefully their opinion and wishes were a factor in this decision.

nickc

And I still think we need to protect many wild places

does this actually exist in mainland UK? not trying to be contentious, genuinely curious as most “wild” places turn out to be managed to within an inch of their moss, mostly.

ransos
    Free Member

Fair point, that needs to be applied to 99% of Scotland’s land and 100% of the rest of the UK. None of our environment is ‘natural’ and ‘wild’, without effect of man all over it.

Precisely. The argument is actually about familiarity.

km79
    Free Member

I like the look of windfarms, and while I don’t mind them I can appreciate that others do. I am all for protecting wild* areas where we can, and there is an argument there about the presence of windfarms affecting tourism. To be honest the biggest complaint I hear from tourists here (mainly from Europe) is the amount of litter in our wild* places, only rarely has windfarms came up in conversation.

*I think we really mean scenic here as opposed to true wild.

13thfloormonk

does this actually exist in mainland UK?

For a given definition of ‘wild’ – Yes.

The definition I prefer is no obvious encroachment from development/man made structures etc.

Personally though I can forgive the sight of a distant windfarm from a Cairngorm summit. Where I think ‘wild’ land should be protected is when we get to the point where you can’t walk or camp anywhere without being within spitting distance of a turbine/dam/access road/etc. etc.

Thankfully I think we are a long way from that point yet and despite my inner NIMBY kicking up a fuss I try to be pragmatic about wind farms.

(although having said that, I do worry that windfarms are being developed where they suit private landowners best, not where they would actually serve the population best, surely we should be developing the Campsies and the Ochils before remotest Sutherland?)

tjagain

nickc – lots of land in Scotland with little management other than controlling the number of grazing animals wild and domestic. But almost no “natural” land as it would be covered in mixed forest if it was untouched.

I got into a online argument with nimbys about this ( surprise surprise) as they were claiming a windfarm on the monadliath would spoil an “unspoilt wilderness”. The monadliath is a mix of grouse and deer shooting land with some plantation forestry. ie completely managed and an artificial environment

miketually
    Free Member

I’d like to see a similar map to the above with “can see/hear a road” indicated instead.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member
    nickc

thanks tj, understood.

Northwind

thestabiliser – Member

There’s a reasonable chance that absolutely none of our current power generation methods and infrastructure are economically viable in 60 years. Doesn’t mean we should stop.

zippykona

This government is very pleased at telling Europe to go **** itself.
    Building loads of renewable and being able to tell the Russians and Saudis to go **** themselves would be a lot more satisfying.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I got into a online argument with nimbys about this ( surprise surprise) as they were claiming a windfarm on the monadliath would spoil an “unspoilt wilderness”. The monadliath is a mix of grouse and deer shooting land with some plantation forestry. ie completely managed and an artificial environment

I see it as desolate wasteland so I’m with you on this. But… If other people see it as attractive then their views are just as valid.

tjagain

Indeed 5th. It was the description of it as an “unspoilt wilderness” I disagreed with. Its a giant deer and grouse farm

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

thestabiliser – Member

Well one thing is for sure wind isn’t going to run out nor is the price of it likely to increase in 30-60 years .

seosamh77
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    thestabiliser – Member

the hinkley c power plant will only have a 60 year lifespan.

curto80
    Free Member

Onshore wind is the cheapest viable form of power generation. Turbines are becoming cheaper and more efficient. It makes no sense not to utilise it where environmentally appropriate. What the government have done to the planning regime, especially compared to what they’ve done for fracking, is scandalous.

T1000
    Free Member

Wind turbine = triggers broom

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘'Wild places' for wind farms’ is closed to new replies.