Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Wild country tents.
  • mikey3
    Free Member

I bought a wild country tent years ago and I’ve used loads most years for touring etc but its starting to feel abit ragged and I’ve been looking at a zephyros 1 to replace it with.
    I’m no tent expert but the wild country tent has served my really well and I thought that deserved a bit of loyalty and I wondered if the quality of tents they make now is good?(and their not to expensive which is a big factor).

ElShalimo

They still make good quality tents. They’re Terra Nova’s heavier, cheaper little brother nowadays. So they benefit from trickle down tech and fabrics and remain good value for money.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’ve got a zephryos 2, love it. don’t think i’d like the smaller sleeping area of the 1 though, i think the fly sheets are the same size. So it’s a case of do you like more sleeping area or more porch area.

Cougar

The Zephyros is a classic tent. I almost bought one, though after a couple of nights’ wild camping in a couple of different tents I don’t think I’d want a side opener.

breninbeener

Me and my gf have just spent 8 days in a Zyphyros 2. The tent construction was fab, but the sleeping area is small and its lowest at each end. It made it quite hard work to dress etc. We ended up sleeping top to toe as it wasnt really wide enough for shoulder to shoulder. I would prefer a traditional shape tent. But it worked v well in the rain and i paid £70 new!

Cougar

The same is true of most 2-man tents – in fact, it’s true of most tents. I was looking at the Zeph 2 for solo backpacking duties.

There’s a Zeph 2 Plus, if that’s any help? Probably not now if you’ve already bought it…!

kcal

yes, looking at the Z 2 as well if solo, room for kit inside.
    Last years Z 2 had only one side opening (lighter, but fine for 1 man unless the wind / rain shifts I guess).

Still have my Quasar from – 25 ? years ago.. just a bit too big/bulky for solo trekking.

Cougar

The issue I found with side openings is,

When you pitch, you pitch longitudinal to the wind. So then if it rains, the weather’s coming across the door and (in the tent I was in at least) you don’t get a lot of protection when sitting with the door open cooking.

Mate had a near identical tent to mine only front-opening, and there was room for both of us to shelter whist making scran.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    The issue I found with side openings is,

When you pitch, you pitch longitudinal to the wind. So then if it rains, the weather’s coming across the door and (in the tent I was in at least) you don’t get a lot of protection when sitting with the door open cooking.flip the tent 180 degrees.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Wild country tents.’ is closed to new replies.