Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Wild camping – landowner strife
  • plumslikerocks
    Free Member

As a Venture scout 20+ years ago, I wild camped a few times ago on very remote mountains. There is something about it that makes it special. Free time probably restricts chances to get really far from civilisation these days, and my desire to get away from it all is tempered by the fear of being woken up at some ungodly hour by an indignant landowner with a shotgun over his arm. This concern is multiplied when I include the idea of taking one of more of the kids with me.

So what are your experiences and tips for bother-free wild camping? (I’m Based in North Dales if that makes a difference)

Edric64
    Free Member

Use a small dark tent hide it well and leave no mess .Pitch late ,leave early .If you have a fire or go to the loo dig a hole and replace the turf to hide the evidence .Burn any loo roll .

cbike
    Free Member

Arrive late – leave early. Have a green tent. Shit in hotels or mcdonalds.

For everyone else who abuses the access code and doesnt use it in the spirit in which it is intended..
    Don’t chop down trees, Use the existing fireplace and for gods sake take the bloody tent home and dont leave it at your arse IN loch lomond, at rest and be thankful, or fill your tent with rubbish and leave it at the devils pulpit….aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgghghghghgh. And stop setting the houses on fire in Glen Etive.

These people are going to ensure that camping and access becomes a licensed activity for us all.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Cbike….sounds like you’ve seen the downside…

matt_outandabout

Never had an issue in 25 years of camping in the hills. A couple of minor challenges in more urban/close to farm situations, all resolved with a polite chat or agreement to move a few mins up the path.

timber

If we don’t know you’ve been there, how are we to know? Was discussing this at work today as we manage a fair chunk of land. Not something we necessarily want to encourage, but nothing against responsible wild camping, the dirty b******s we would happily burn/bury in the woods with all their rubbish.

If looking for guidance, have a look at Dartmoor NP where it is mostly allowed.

Finally, posting your campsite on social media won’t keep it secret, at a certain point we can’t help but be aware and the risk of numptys increases at which point everyone is told NO.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

It’s not problem, if you are on private land DON’T have a fire and this draws attention, as has been said. pitch late leave early the UK is very safe from creapy crawlies and axe wielding murderers.

And buy this book to read with the kids before you go
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microadventures-Local-Discoveries-Great-Escapes/dp/0007548036/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

tjagain

Plums – there are a few places in Scotland where idiots have spoiled things for others. Its becoming a real issue with anti camping bylaws spreading out. Personally I believe the land reform act got it wrong. Roadside camping should not come under the access rights – should be a minimum distance from the road.

OP – come to scotland. most of the country wild camping is not an issue

Greybeard
    Free Member

Personally I believe the land reform act got it wrong. Roadside camping should not come under the access rights

Roadside camping in itself shouldn’t be an issue, it’s people not following the Code that’s the problem. Most of the bad behaviour (litter, fires, damage, etc) is illegal already – but it appears that nobody wants to enforce the law, just pass more bylaws that penalise the law abiding people.

tjagain

Graybeard – the issue is that there are only 4 cops on duty to cover the areas at risk IIRC and if the folk who drove there have been drinking how can they move on?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Set a couple of examples and it would soon change peoples attutides. Ie the polis could easily lie in wait see the people that are causing the problems, dish out some hefty fines. You’d see a change in attitudes overnight. Non-enforcement of existing laws is the problem.

Enforcement may be an illusion, but creating the illusion is the answer.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Hopefully taking my 6 yr old out tonight, probably less than 1 mile from suburbia in England, but in a secluded quiet area where we will mostly likely only get disturbed by deer or maybe a runner.

Would love to build a fire, but that’s the one thing that would draw attention, and mean that we will leave a trace.

globalti
    Free Member

Build a fire but keep it hot and dry and there will be very little smoke. Take care to collect only dry wood, start with small pieces and don’t throw on anything green.

noltae
    Free Member

Better still dig out a Dakota Fire Pit ..

scotroutes

Don’t build a fire. Really
    There’s no need to.

crikey
    Free Member

Just been out last night, it helped that one of us knew the farmer, but as above go late, leave early, leave no trace.

GregMay
    Free Member

Another “no fire” please. It’s not needed, even under sods it damages the ground.

RustySpanner

No fires.
    Don’t crap on someone else’s land.
    If confronted, be honest and pleasant – most people are happy to help.

tomd
    Free Member

I’ve never had any bother camping discretely. The UK is a pretty safe place.

If you want to have a big fire go to an out of the way beach and burn some driftwood, you won’t bother anyone.

The problem in Scotland with ned car camping is a bit of an issue right enough. I was staying with a mate up near Oban last week and they get more than their fair share of that near the house. The current laws are not enforced and are essentially unenforceable without a massive increase in police resources which no one will pay for. You would need a full on riot squad and multiple large vans to take on a group of drunk neds and shuttle them to a big police station in one of the cities.

The blanket bans in Scotland don’t really affect proper walkers / bikers who are camping discretely and out of the way but it’s not nice to feel criminalised.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Never had a problem, take the kids on occasion and just follow the leave no trace rule. I used to make sure I was very far out of the way but over the years you soon realise that with discretion and late arrivals and early starts there’s not many places you can’t bed down.
    Never start fires, just make hot chocolate for the kids instead.

Junkyard
    Free Member

never had any issue as long as
    1. a reasonable distance from roads/houses
    2. Arrive late leave early – even then in remote places no one does anything in the am
    3. Fires draw attention to you so best avoided- depends where i am – only really if there is a way to “hide it” [without digging] but generally no

crikey
    Free Member

After wild camping last night I had a bath; found two tiny ticks floating in the water…

I stayed fully dressed in my tent, only head and hands uncovered.

digga
    Free Member

Pitch camp late, break camp early.
    No fires.
    Leave no litter.
    Poo in poly bags and take it with you.
    Maintain radio silence.

Delta, Idiot, Gommo, Gommo, Armpit. Over and out!

doris5000

how late and how early?

never been wild camping but this is an interesting thread. Late I can do. But I’ve never been so good with early…

Junkyard
    Free Member

after everyone has left before everyone arrives
    Depends on the location tbh

Saccades
    Free Member

I take a mini portable bbq for cooking/fire duties and carry the ash out with me.

No trace on the ground or anywhere else. It’s nice to sit with the kids toasting dampers/marshmallows.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Wild camping – landowner strife’ is closed to new replies.