Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Wild camping ideas in t'Lakes
  • flyingmonkeycorps

I’ve got a weekend free at the end of October (Halloween as it happens) and I thought rather than sit at home pretending I’m not in whilst small children demand sweets I might go for a camp out somewhere. Usually do the Peak ‘cos it’s local but I fancy something different.

I was thinking maybe Wharnscale Bothy or Priest’s Hole but I imagine they’ll be quite busy, so any suggestions? Will probably be tent rather than bivvy and walking rather than biking.

footflaps

Pick a hill, any hill, millions of options in the Lakes.

Pyro

I’ve had some nice bivvy nights at Sprinkling Tarn and Styhead Tarn over the years

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    flyingmonkeycorps

Pick a hill, any hill, millions of options in the Lakes.

Fair point. Got a few ideas

marcus
    Free Member

Surely a nice quiet pub in a valley with an open fire and a few beers at that time of year ? Or is that just me ?

matt_outandabout

If you fancy a ride in and out, the back of Ullswater near Glenridding has a few lake shore spots that are lovely. This can be combined with a ride of High Street…

flyingmonkeycorps

That sounds interesting Matt. I’m not really set up for bikepacking at the moment, but that’s not to say I can’t bodge something together.

ElShalimo

How about the Howgills?
    They’re much, much quieter and if you’re lucky you’ll have some ponies for company in the evening.

flyingmonkeycorps

Hmm, interesting thought ElShalimo. I know nothing of the Howgills but I’d certainly have no qualms in finding out more. Quiet is good. Closer too (coming from ‘Ull). Any suggestions?

matt_outandabout

You can walk into the Glenridding spots – or hire a canoe. 😀

ElShalimo

Once you’re up high you’ll probably have the whole place to yourself.
    If you’re on the bike get up to The Calf via Winder and Arant Haw then choose your spot.
    If you’re not on the bike, the northern end is quieter than The Calf and easy to reach on foot. I reckon anywhere near Simon’s Seat or Uldale Head area is ideal.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

we did the ennerdale round and camped above green gables , very good, don’t know if the days might be getting a bit short though…..

noltae
    Free Member

I’m quite a fan of getting leathered in a nice country boozer and then heading out on a whim – make sure you get fresh batteries for your headtorch mind – sometimes pitching takes a bit longer than expected !

agent007
    Free Member

Just look at any OS Map, pick a valley and head up there, will be plenty of spots if you look around.

We have an absolutely bl**dy amazing wild camp spot in the Lakes, nicest, most beautiful place I’ve ever camped, super quiet, flat and dry ground next to a bubbling stream and in full view of the mountains but I’m bu**ered if I’m going to reveal it on here, otherwise next time we head there, there might be several other tents in place. We found it using the look at OS map and thinks ‘that’s got potential’ method.

globalti
    Free Member

Yep… same story here. First night Mrs Gti and I ever spend together, skinny-dipping in the tarn and camping. We found it by looking at a map and I ain’t telling where it is!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

At the side of any high level tarn tbh. Red Tarn, Blea Tarn, Sprinkling, Styhead etc etc.
    One nice wilderness walk is up the river esk from Brotherilkeld and camp at Great Moss under Scarfell (I think we camped under Cam Spout Crag somewhere). then maybe up the Scarfells in the morning and return.

Pieface

Not sprinkling tarn like every other DoE / group

Angle Tarn above Hartsop (near Glenridding) would be nice

honeybadgerx

Head up past Warnscale bothy (or don’t drop down to it) and over towards Haystacks, some beautiful spots for camping by Innominate Tarn, possibly my favourite spot in the lakes for it.

flyingmonkeycorps

Cheers all, some really useful suggestions there (and I totally understand those who aren’t so keen on sharing). I’m quite happy looking at a map but I don’t know the Lakes so a prod in the right direction never goes amiss.

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve emailed you.

footflaps

How about the Howgills?
    They’re much, much quieter

So are the fells in the Lakes after 5pm. Was wandering around the Wasdale fells the other week and after 5pm there isn’t a sole within view on any hill.

globalti
    Free Member

Shoe sole?

footflaps

I was thinking more the fish…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Wild camping ideas in t'Lakes’ is closed to new replies.