Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Wild camping at Glentress?
  • Spamf
    Free Member

Does anyone wild camp at Glentress? Is there anywhere to safely leave a car? Is there any very cheap campsites in the vicinity?

Cheers Anton

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Loads of folk camp up at the top car park (Osprey).

Added bonus (depending of how you look at it) of a couple of portaloos.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You can wild camp if you want. Its scotland its legal to do so. I Dunno where there is a clean water supply or a decent bit of flat land out of the way tho. Personally I wouldn't

falkirk-mark

the red squirrel car park has plumbed in toilets but do not know if they are locked at night

br
    Free Member

Depends whether its just for a night, or a 'pitch' for a few days?

For a pitch, go legal.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

br – its legal to wild camp in Scotland – even from a car and even by the road. Guidance says if you are on grass then move your tent every 2 or 3 days to prevent killing the grass and camp with consideration.

From the land access point of view I can see no objection to camping at glentress but I can't think of a nice spot to do so. Bit like camping in a car park.

bananaworld
    Free Member

What you need is one of these: http://hennessyhammock.com/index.html.

I've got one and it's absolutely ace. A hammock would be perfect for a setting like Glentress.

druidh
    Free Member

The campsite at Rosetta is recommended

br
    Free Member

I know you can camp (almost) anywhere, I've backpacked E-to-W – by legal I mean campsite with facilities.

Kit
    Free Member

A friend and I met a lady in the woods near the mast one day, on an 'off-piste' recce of ours. She was setting up camp. No views but looked v sheltered and peaceful.

roundwheels
    Free Member

The campsite at Rosetta is recommended. +1

robhughes
    Free Member

kit.you met a lady in the woods.
    tell me more.

Kit
    Free Member

tell me more.

She was setting up fairy lights, and me and my mate felt like we got away from her just in time or we'd have ended up in a big pot for dinner… it was a bit creepy.

oh, wait, that wasn't what you wanted to hear was it…?

caledonia
    Free Member

Rosetta +1 here

Pub on site too !

andrewh
    Free Member

slept in the car at GT a few times, no probs. Use the top car park though.

cbike
    Free Member

Technically legal – but not advisable and not really within the spirit of wild camping.

Others will follow suit and then we will be scraping human jobbies of our bike tyres. You might be a responsible camper but other people will not. Then trees will be chopped and then GT will restrict access.
    Yer asking for trouble from neds with cars if you hang about the car park. A forestry commission car park near civilisation is NOT a place to be at night. Rural polis do check these places and may wonder what you are doing.

If you really must, away up to the top somewhere out of sight.

kevonakona
    Free Member

ersonally i wouldn't, night rides see a few folk with BBQs (just left sitting when finished with) and a heavy fug of "smoke" with thumping tunes. NOt my idea of a wild camp site.

Rosetta is good friendly near town for scran and cheap and less likely to be invaded by souped up corsa's.

robhughes
    Free Member

kit-some of us have no luck do we. 😕

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Wild camping at Glentress?’ is closed to new replies.