Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Wild Camping around Fort William…
  • russovwick
    Free Member

Hello guys, can someone help me out. Want to go up to Fort William soon with my other half and we would like to kill two birds by wild camping as well as riding Nevis range. This is another thing we wanted to do this summer. Can anyone save me some time and point me to some spots that would be suitable? Not too far from where I can park the van if possible.

cbike
    Free Member

Loads of campsites. Use them if you need to be close to vehicle. If you are prepared to hike then an OS map is your oyster. Top end of Glen nevis by the rope bridge is a good spot but popular. Hike in for about a mileish.

thegreatape
    Free Member

If you park at Nevis Range and then walk/ride sufficiently far from the trails I can’t see you having any issues in Leanachan Forest.

Greybeard
    Free Member

As above; almost anywhere away from houses and farms, etc. Camping next to your car is not necessarily ‘wild camping’ in the spirit of the code

http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/Practical-guide/public/camping

joshvegas
    Free Member

Wild camping near fort william?

Glen Nevis.

Park your van at the top carpark, walk up the gorge prepare yourself for walking round the corner.

Take Midge repellant.

I can point out some excellent hidden swim holes clothes optional.

russovwick
    Free Member

Thanks! I was just thinking about parking at Nevis range and venturing into the woods… Assuming that’s what you all mean? I’ve been a few times but only to ride the down hill track. So not really familiar with the lower wooded area.

russovwick
    Free Member

When I said to be near the car that was only so it wasn’t going to be too much effort to get to Nevis range to ride for the day. But if we can park there and walk/ride to a spot then it’s not so important.

tomd
    Free Member

OP you’re sorting of missing the point of wild camping. Get a map and go and explore, there are loads of options around that area. At this time of year midges and ticks can be a major issue, so unless it was very windy I’d be looking for somewhere a bit exposed and without too much vegetation to harbour ticks. As others have said, Glen Nevis is a good place to start (it’s not really near Nevis Range) but be aware it will probably be quite sheltered and with near fatal levels of midges and ticks. Anywhere near the car parks is also likely to be full of camping neds, who also might kill you.

I would heartily recommend Glen Nevis campsite. It’s within walking distance of a pub, where you can shelter from the midges.

Spin
    Free Member

I was just thinking about parking at Nevis range and venturing into the woods

That will be grim. It’s mainly conifer plantation.

My tip would be to drive around some of the (very) minor roads in the area until you find somewhere suitable. Just be neat, discrete and don’t leave your tent up whilst you go ride.

Northwind

@Tomd, it’s different things to different people, sometimes you want to go out and explore but other times- especially first times- you might want a bit more pre-planning. Not sure there’s one point to wild camping!

joshvegas – Member

I can point out some excellent hidden swim holes clothes optional.

What are you pointing with?

joshvegas
    Free Member

My pole*

*From my tent**

**which is pitched 😉

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My tip would be to drive around some of the (very) minor roads in the area until you find somewhere suitable. Just be neat, discrete and don’t leave your tent up whilst you go ride.

This. I’ve never actually ‘wild camped’ (bothied a few times) but know what entails a ‘wild camping’ experience.
    Sticking a tent up a few yards from the car, is that ‘wild camping’? It could be ‘free camping’ but not ‘wild’ in the sense of the words.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Given the brief, which I’m reading as having a first go at wild camping not too far away from the car in case its rubbish, the forest around Nevis Range (Leanachan Forest) does the job just fine I think. Be aware that this is the crappest summer we’ve had for a decade weather wise 🙁

iainc

Don’t underestimate the power of the midge. Very bad this year and as said already, if you’re out the wind you will be eaten….

russovwick
    Free Member

Ok I just want to make clear I do understand the point of wild camping, but this trip is going to be a last min thing we’re going up to bike at Nevis range. We don’t really have the time to hike for miles into the wilds this time, as much as i would like to. But we would prefer camping in a tent as it’s more exciting and saves money. The ticks and midges I hadn’t really thought about :/ I’d rather not spend the weekend pulling ticks off. So maybe unless I can find somewhere exposed I’d be better pitching at a campsite?

Spin
    Free Member

The man needs a van. 😉

iainc

Unless you find a windy campsite they’ll get you 😈

russovwick
    Free Member

Which are the windy camp sites? Lol jk

I’ve got a van! Just a little one so no sleeping in there with bikes ha

Well looks like we’ll be dipping ourselves in midgey repellant

thegreatape
    Free Member

You want smidge, that said, I reckon midges are nearly over now.

whitestone
    Free Member

Windy campsites? Keep out of the trees for a start!

Glen Nevis is one of the worst places I’ve been for midges so I’d keep away from there.

Spin
    Free Member

Glen Nevis is one of the worst places I’ve been for midges

It’s legendary but really most of the highlands can be grim in still conditions. I think being in the trees at Nevis Range could create a new standard of midge based despair.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Smidge is your friend.
    (& a pipe, along with a can of Raid & a blowtorch)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve camped at the edge of the car park at Nevis range before, no probs – over at the end farthest away from the gondola. Only ever been a handful of folks there too.

russovwick
    Free Member

These comments have made me laugh, blow torch check…

I’ll have a look at the edge of the car park, I know where you mean just have never taken it in to notice that it was suitable cheers

joshvegas
    Free Member

I once found a massive hole in my headnet whilst bivvying in glen nevis. Oh how I laughed.

They’re bad but wether you camp or not you absolutely should take a stroll into the top bit of the glen.

Northwind

whitestone – Member

Glen Nevis is one of the worst places I’ve been for midges

On the contrary, it’s brilliant for midges- wet and full of tourists. No wonder they grow to the size of eagles.

russovwick
    Free Member

Well the idea of camping with aload of people squashed in a camp site isn’t my idea of camping so that’s my last resort

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Wild Camping around Fort William…’ is closed to new replies.