Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • wild camping anglesey?
  • zoota

Thinking of doing some wild camping in anglesey with my son over the summer holidays, not going to do to much cycling distance as the bike will be loaded and my boy is only young.

The rough plan to date is to jump of the train at holyhead and either head northeast along the coast for sights, sands, sea and wild camping or the same south westward
    Have seen a few online pictures of other people wild camps on the west/southwest side that look good.

Any local knowledge would help and suggestion would help as well as recommended campsites that have decent play area as a back up if no wild spot available.
    A few photo with grids ref would be fantastic too

zoota

Any one?

chorlton
    Free Member

Don’t know about wild camping but there are loads of nice beaches on the island so take your pick. As for normal campsites my parents always took us to Hewits just outside Benllech. Think it’s now Golden Sunset who have the caravan site next door. The camping fields are great, up on the cliffs. Lots of small secluded fields and some larger ones. One which takes you right down to the cliff path and rocks to do some crabbing. 😀 You don’t book, just turn up.
    If your after somewhere to eat and drink then there’s the excellent Golden Fry chippy in town. Just don’t bother with the Benllech Hotel. A pleasant walk will take you along to Red Wharf bay and the Ship Inn. Lovely place to sit outside and have a drink. Another eatery next door.

ElShalimo

Area west of Cemlyn Bay and north of Church Bay is a good candidate
    Pitch late, up with the crows and move on early am

gogg
    Free Member

As ElShalimo says, that side of the island is good.

A lot of kayakers camp here, it’s accessible by footpath.

A lot of fishing types camp out at Porthdafarch on the South side of Holy Island, but it’s very accessible by road, so may not be ideal for you.

You could hop off the train at LlanfairPG and cycle down to the South East corner of the island, Newborough Warren & the forest provide secluded camping spots. Abermenai Point is again popular with Sea Kayakers

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Steve Makin is the an for all this..

When we went, we stayed at Newborough Forest..

If you search on here there’s a few threads on the area.

zoota

Thanks for the helps guys, cycling from llanfair station to Newborough looks good plenty of beach and places to camp.
    Love the old brick works as point if interest and camp.
    I am happy to pay for camp sites in between wild camps for the little one to enjoy swings and slides whist I some kit washing and get him a decent warm shower.
    Next step is to put a a route and plan together.

Last question is how if at all ridable is the coastal path on anglesey?
    Thanks again

ElShalimo

Zoota – the path varies from a wide track to a narrow path with 50m drop into the sea. It’d be a real challenge for a competent rider let alone with a young ‘un in tow
    There are lots of cycle routes, just look on the OS map

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

As well as the coastal path you have the Coppermine Trail. This is more towards the north of the island/amwlch/cemaes bay and is (apparently) rideable ( never done it, so don’t hold me to that!). Loads of good wild camping around church bay/cemlyn bay. The fish n chip shop in Cemaes is excellent.

The all day breakfast at the Wylfa Power Station visitor center cafe is worth a detour. (took the little ‘un in last year when it was hoofing down)

If you need bike spares I think Valley has a very small bike/Canoe shop.

Hope the weather is good and enjoy. 🙂

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

As for booking a camp site If you turn up on your bike they always seem to find space for you, Anyone else found that??

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘wild camping anglesey?’ is closed to new replies.