Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Wild camp spot near Hebden Bridge – recommendations?
  • wl
    Free Member

Anyone recommend me a couple of good spots for a wild camp within a 3-4 hour walk of Hebden? I know the area well for biking but I’m struggling to think of a great camp spot. Can’t help feeling I’m missing somewhere obvious. Stream nearby would be good, as would complete invisibility from roads, buildings etc, obviously. Big enough for two 1-man tents is poss. Ta v much.

duntstick
    Free Member

As a kid I used to go up to Blake Dean near the old scout hut, walk back down the stream about 5 mins and you see where the old railway bridge used to cross the river.
    You can swim in the pool there. Bit parky though. I used to ride over from Todmorden on my Grifter with a rucksack on. Happy days

hora
    Free Member

Does it have to be wild? We stayed in a nice one on the tops- within a few metres of a nice pub too. Pook knows the details. POOK POOK POOK.

duntstick
    Free Member

null

See that flat spot to the left, great camping spot

woody2000

Surely a 3-4 hour walk will take you a good way AWAY from Hebden Bridge? Or am I missing something? 🙂

spawnofyorkshire

You can camp at the New Delight Inn at Jack Bridge
    Doesn’t cost much and is a nice pub

wl
    Free Member

Cheers for all of these. Yes, a 3-4 hour walk will get us well away from town – I’m looking for somewhere as remote as poss really, and defo not on a site, but thanks for every suggestion.

willjones
    Free Member

Don’t know whether there’s a spot near lumb falls?

soops
    Free Member

In front of heptonstall rocks

Dave
    Free Member

Will – email me :o)

spawnofyorkshire

maybe somewhere out here off the pennine way
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.7988484,-2.1013613,14z/data=!5m1!1e4

ElShalimo

Top of Walshaw Dean valley?
    Pitch tent after dark, up early in the morning and leave no trace

ton

high brown knoll

but I would go for the new delight campsite…..and 10 pints of their delicious blonde ale…….. 8)

plumber
    Free Member

Wycoller is nice – google map say 4 1/2 hours walk

wl
    Free Member

ElShalimo – Done Walshaw Dean Valley ta – it’s good but looking for something new.
    Ton – HBK not a bad idea. Packing booze so we don’t need a pub.
    plumber – Wycoller’s a bit far, but cheers.

Probably sorted now thanks.

sheeps

Gorple Stones

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I think theres some (rarely – never seen anyone on them) paths from Egypt over towards the top end of Upper Gorple res. Think theres some old quarry workings or something up there.

Must be somewhere near Widdop too. BW up onto Gorple Road but instead of hairpinning left, carry straight on and there is a trail I think which heads back down towards the water and some trees for shelter…

postierich
    Free Member

rivers = midgies!

RustySpanner

DaveBoyWonder, you ever met the maaaaaaad farmer over Egypt way, the one with all the old vehicles?

No way on earth would I camp anwhere near him, man’s got a thousand yard stare, firearms and a hatred of anyone who goes within a mile of his land.

wl
    Free Member

Dave and Rusty – I got lost around there once, years ago – that farm is straight out of Deliverance. Also, there are angry gamekeepers to dodge. I had a run-in with one once. He was ok in the end (and he did actually have a fair point), but I’d probably be a bit wary of camping around there TBH.

keng38
    Free Member

Look at Blake Dean area.
    Well out the way up there.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Wild camp spot near Hebden Bridge – recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.