Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • wild blackberry crumble tonight
  • vickypea
    Free Member

Someone on here was telling me that blackberry season was June-July. They’re only ripe now round here (Peak District)
    I’ve just been out and picked a bagful. Apple and blackberry crumble tonight!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Are they still wild?

I’d be furious if you picked me.

dantsw13

Me too – wild blackberries from dog walk & cooking apples from the garden

hammerite
    Free Member

Walked past thousands of them the other day. Some were ripe but most weren’t. We’re about 100-150mile miles south from you.

slowoldman

Good pickings in the local park near Stockport yesterday.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

North of the border we call them Brambles.

Last night’s desert featured roadside Bambles and homegrown apples. Chopped nuts in the crumble for extra crunch.

vickypea
    Free Member

That looks tasty mcmoonter.
    I put oats in my crumble mixture.

Houns

Been munching them for weeks here in the Midlands. I’m on to me fourth apple and blackberry crumble (with cookers from me Nans garden)

Lifer
    Free Member

Mid Sussex here, rhubarb and blackberry crumble for weeks!

darrell
    Free Member

Bramble is a catch all name for a number of berries related to Blackberry, Raspberry and hybrids

Drac

Someone on here was telling me that blackberry season was June-July.

Start June and July, run through August up until late October or November depending on the area and the weather.

Had a crumble last night there’ another in the fridge.

No one ever called a Raspberry a Bramble.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Got loads round here, It’s the only time of the year I eat fruit! (don’t faff around making pies/crumbles though, straight down the hatch for me)

No one ever called a Raspberry a Bramble.

This, in the NE of Engerland ‘brambles’ are blackberries. Rasps are rasps & strawbs are strawbs.

jambalaya
    Free Member

We need a photo @vickypea

Friends have autumn raspberries in their garden which produce more and better fruit than the summer plant.

As for Bramble for me it’s always been just Blackberries. PITA near me as I spend my summer cutting the damn things back as they block a path, have also overcome a lovely ceanothus.

CountZero

Went for a walk between Littleton-upon-Severn and Oldbury-upon-Severn today, took a lot longer han the distance covered suggests, I must have eaten over half-a-pound of Blackberries on the way round. Nothing to put them in, and it seemed such a shame to let them go to waste… 😀

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

This, in the NE of Engerland ‘brambles’ are blackberries. Rasps are rasps & strawbs are strawbs.

Same here – Scotland

Bramble bush in neglected patch of my garden is just there, I’ll be doing bramble cranachan.
    Toast some oatmeal
    Mash a decent number of brambles with a fork
    Mix some whisky in with the brambles
    Whisk some cream with a blob of honey and most of the oatmeal
    Fold the bramble mix into the cream mix in individual serving glasses
    Top with big juicy berry and the rest of the oatmeal

Traditionally done with rasps, but sooooo much better with brambles IMO

mark90
    Free Member

Soak blackberries in whiskey till christmas time. Filter out the blackberries. Drink blackberry whiskey. Make the bestest mostest booziest blackberry and apple crumble.

breadcrumb

I have a jam jar full of brambles, whisky and sugar.

Looking forward to bramble whisky and boozy crumble.

Drac

I’ve some in whisky from last year in the cupboard and some in gin too.

Oh and sloes in whisky and gin too.

Scapegoat

Picked a carrier bagful of brambles here in the Ripon area today. And another bagful of sloes. Can’t remember ever seeing ripe sloes in August before. Aldi gin and Scotch tomorrow……..

vickypea
    Free Member

The crumble was tasty. I’ve probably overdosed on blackberries!

plumber
    Free Member

Ours have gone past their best here in the south, bumper year though – always a drawer full in the freezer for blackberry pies and crumbles

this year I found apple, plum and greenguage trees here in the village

I love anything free

Houns

Can’t beat eating them wild, often get added protein too

I’ve cut back, dug up, ripped out, strimmed, nuked, many brambles this year, those that have started to regrow even have fruit on, no matter how feeble the sprig of bramble is. Certainly a good (and very early) year for fruits. Thankfully the damp August has helped juice up the damsons….. I just need to get rid of the plum moth that ruined some of me plums and damsons 👿

kayla1
    Free Member

There’s still loads round here, it’s been a really good year for having a bit of a forage out and about on the bike! On one bit of trail we’ve got blackberries, plums and hazelnuts, all in the same 10m stretch of trail. We found a clump of raspberries too on another bit of the same trail.

+1 on the added protein- om nom nom 😆

perchypanther
    Free Member

I hate brambles.

There. I said it.

A childhood spent eating manky homemade bramble jelly for six months of the year instead of proper jam has put me off them for life.

Drac

Yeah sloes are rather early this year so don’t put off picking them.

chakaping
    Free Member

Had a handful in my breakfast this morning, and having crumble for pud this eve.

Only just appeared the last fortnight here too.

dantsw13

What to do with all the pears from my garden? Do they mix with Blackberries?

perchypanther
    Free Member

What to do with all the pears from my garden?

Only three months till partridge hunting season.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Delicious

I’m not sure I’ve ever not had wild blackberries. Why would you buy them when they’re in the hedge for free.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘wild blackberry crumble tonight’ is closed to new replies.