Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Wikileaks
  • tails
    Free Member

I’m especially amazed by this bit

They include reports of some Arab leaders – including Saudi Arabia’s King Abdullah – urging the US to attack Iran and end its nuclear weapons programme.

That’s gonna strain the relationship somewhat!!

Stoner
    Free Member

Im a big fan of Wikileaks and even made a donation to keep them going when funds ran short earlier this year, but the DOS attack on the site and the way the Guardian are managing the release of the details is infuriating, I want to download the data myself and search the database without editorial interference. That is the essence of Wikileaks – when they write stories they include unedited source material with it.

KT1973
    Free Member

Yes. It’ll put the cat among the pigeons

Lifer
    Free Member

+1 stoner, a lot of respect for the people who make it happen. Read a great article on the way it operates will try and find it…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Iran has obtained missiles from North Korea capable of hitting targets in Western Europe.

Other Muslim countries in the area made demands that the U.S. bomb Iran and take out their capability.

D’you think we’re gonna make it to 2011?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

WE’RE DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!

Are we doomed?

Yes, we’re doomed.

Oh whell.

project
    Free Member

Which member of the british royal family has ben doing something naughty as well, due to come out soon the details that is.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Hmm, we’ve got quite a lot of oil, what can we do to ensure the USA doesn’t try to invade us…?

Ah! I know!

If Iran and North Korea having nuclear weapons stops ‘The West’ invading and the senseless slaughter of hundreds of thousands of innocent people just because some greedy bastard wants to profit from their natural resources, then I’m all for it.

AdamW
    Free Member

Which member of the british royal family has ben doing something naughty as well, due to come out soon the details that is.

Perhaps one of the princes has made a cheese pie better than Harry_the_spider and he’s had to honour the reach-around? 😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What’s this about HTS’s cheese pie?

I think we should be told.

Are the answers to be found on Wikileaks?

simonralli2
    Free Member

My take is that we are witnessing a fairly sophisticated psy ops, i.e. Wikileaks are doing this in full support of the US. They now have millions in funding, and Webster Tarpley, the co founder of Wikileaks has pretty much said this and his interview can be seen on youtube.

Many leaks fully support US foreign policy, so yeah, I am very wary.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

heard interview with the Guardian journo on the topic and there reasoning was they were going to redact anything that would endanger lives etc and try and put it into context

project
    Free Member

The Guardian chap just said the americans where shocked at what they had seen about a royal family member

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What, that it is unnaturally shrivelled and atrophied? A funny colour? Has amazing psychic powers?

nickc

My take is that we are witnessing a fairly sophisticated psy ops

you were doing quite well up till that point

simonralli2
    Free Member

From the ex-cofounder of Wikileaks

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0sK4TjcUd4&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Stoner
    Free Member

gaahhhhh. The Guardian is getting right on my tits now.

One cable reveals how the London embassy passed on intelligence about a British Labour minister, apparently picked up from civil servant contacts, saying he “reportedly remains a bit of a hound dog where women are concerned”.

The minister, whose name the Guardian is withholding, was “forced to apologize … to a female … who accused him of sexual harassment … and has had marital troubles in the last few years”.

Surely they should be helping wikileaks by trying to host mirror sites of the original cables in outside jurisdictions for the public to read not editing the crap out of a few of 250,000 cables available for reading.

druidh
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    Hmm, we’ve got quite a lot of oil, what can we do to ensure the USA doesn’t try to invade us…?

Ah! I know!

If Iran and North Korea having nuclear weapons stops ‘The West’ invading and the senseless slaughter of hundreds of thousands of innocent people just because some greedy bastard wants to profit from their natural resources, then I’m all for it.

Hey – it’s worked for us!

Stoner
    Free Member

at least the DOS has been overcome.

http://cablegate.wikileaks.org/

only 220 released outside of the chosen news orgs so far though….

maccruiskeen

That is the essence of Wikileaks – when they write stories they include unedited source material with it

The thing to be wary about though – an edit has already been made. Whoever makes the leaks has an editorial decision as to which documents to leak, and which documents not to leak. And in making that choice they can, with anonymity, paint the picture they choose.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Mr Woppit – Member
    Iran has obtained missiles from North Korea capable of hitting targets in Western Europe

And I assume they’ll be carrying WMD and be capable of doing so within 45 minutes?

Stoner
    Free Member

that is true – the leaker and the wikileaks editors can both “edit” the content.

In the case of such a volume of material, It would be unlikely for the leaker to do any editing – they simply took a copy dump of a database and sent it to wikileaks.

As for wikileaks we obviously do have to go on trust that any editing they do is in accordance with their stated policies.
    http://wikileaks.org/media/about.html

Oddly, I rather trust them more than Rusbridger. Afterall, the name of the Labour MP for example wasnt redacted by wikileaks but has been by Rusbridger.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Surely they should be helping wikileaks by trying to host mirror sites of the original cables in outside jurisdictions for the public to read not editing the crap out of a few of 250,000 cables available for reading.

Yeah, I had a look last night as wasn’t very impressed, so I started downloading the bittorrent insurance file instead.

s
    Free Member

How much is known how this info was collected & how much money was involved?

Just curious?

Stoner
    Free Member

Ian – I was going to do that too, but have removed my torrent software because I was getting throttled by BT.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Saudi Arabia’s King Abdullah – urging the US to attack Iran and end its nuclear weapons programme.

“That’s gonna strain the relationship somewhat!!”

I very much doubt it will come as any surprise at all to the Iranians, that the Americans stooges in the region should have urged such a thing.

The two countries have very little in common with Saudi Arabia, unlike Iran, being Wahhabi, Arab, without even the slightest pretence of any form of democratic process, and utterly dependant on the US to prop up the regime. Plus the two countries are oil producing competitors.

Of course Saudi Arabia could have attacked Iran themselves, they are after all, armed to the teeth by the US. But then I suppose they probably remember what happened when Iraq, another country armed by the US, including with chemical weapons, was urged by the Yanks, to attack Iran.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

The leaked cables by US diplomats posted overseas contain blunt appraisals of their host governments, and unflattering pen portraits of world leaders.

US officials are said to have described Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi as feckless, vain and ineffective, sharing a close relationship with “alpha dog” Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin.

President Nicolas Sarkozy of France is said to be thin-skinned and authoritarian, while German Chancellor Angela Merkel is described as risk-averse.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai is referred to as “extremely weak” and susceptible to conspiracy theories.

One US diplomat was said to be shocked at the “rude behaviour” of the British queen’s second son, Prince Andrew, when abroad.

Meanwhile, Colonel Muammar Gaddafi of Libya always travels with a “voluptuous blonde” Ukrainian nurse, according to one of the cables.

Erm, it’s hardly stuff we don’t already know…

Although I am very pleased to read that Gaddafi travels with a voluptuous blonde Ukranian nurse. If I were a World Leader, I would travel with a voluptuous blonde Ukrainian nurse.

Actually, I wouldn’t be fussed if she was Ukranian or not, tbh. She could come from Barnsley for all I care! I think the blonde voluptuousness is the important bit, not the nationality.

glenp
    Free Member

What a joke – our media are weaving this image of Wikileaks being the villains for releasing these documents… and at the same time our media will merrily relate the salacious gossip in the same documents!

If the media believe the content to be sensitive and unhelpful they can always not bloody report it themselves!

Plus, they are blatantly trying to suggest that Wikileaks themselves went about obtaining this information – WL only received it, not actively went out and hacked it.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Apparently, Gaddafi also has 200 beautiful female bodyguards. Class.

If you’re a World Leader, and you want people to know it, do it in style:

maccruiskeen

Apparently, Gaddafi also has 200 beautiful female bodyguards. Class.

But not one good tailor between them it seems. The Colonel looks like he’s about to throw down some fly power moves though.

Garry_Lager

Did the Guardian actually lead the print edition with that Prince Andrew headline today? Christ that is weak. Royal prince is ignorant blimp shocker.

My take is that we are witnessing a fairly sophisticated psy ops, i.e. Wikileaks are doing this in full support of the US. They now have millions in funding, and Webster Tarpley, the co founder of Wikileaks has pretty much said this and his interview can be seen on youtube.

Many leaks fully support US foreign policy, so yeah, I am very wary. I thought of Simon’s comment (above) reading the Middle Eastern Leaders’ comment on Iran. It did read like a straw poll with the unanimous conclusion that basically, we’d all be really happy if you (the US) could drop an H-bomb on the place.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Wikileaks’ is closed to new replies.