Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Wiggo crash update
  • singletrackmind

From BBC online

“The driver, who has not been named by police, was not injured.”
    No shit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-20271788

Lady van driver has been summonsed for driving without due care .

Its a shame you have to be a legend to get that level of support from police / cps.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Its a shame you have to be a legend to get that level of support from police / cps.

Not true mate. My brother has recently had a similar accident and has been well looked after by the cops…… 🙂

singletrackmind

Yeah , I read that . Is he ok ? Was a turn right across stationary traffic wasn’t it?

Not all vehicular accidents make it as far as a summons .

Its seems its so much easier to prosecute speeders at + 6mph over the posted limit than those who actualy crash where the outcome is potentialy much worse.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

He’s a bit battered (Has a bad kneck anyway, and this won’t help at all) but OK really. Bike is unrideable, driver dragging his heels admitting anything, but the cops have been good. Luckily an off duty WPC is his witness too.
    He was going in a straight line, coasting, on his road bike, car right turned across him, he went over the bonnet

charliedontsurf

Not been named by the police, but the sun has…. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4634954/Van-driver-Cath-Burrows-OMG-Ive-knocked-down-Wiggo.html

Cath burrows who owns a porche garage and rides a Ducati motorbike.

Motorcyclists are generally as pissed off at shit driving as cyclists…. So she must be feeling really bloody stupid. I would.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Motorcyclists are generally as pissed off at shit driving as cyclists

Generally more so, TBH! As we’re going faster, it hurts more, and even a minor spill costs more…..
    Yes, she should be mortified.

But, remember, even if it was ‘driving without due care’ it was still an accident. She didn’t leave the house intending to knock someone off, especially Wiggo, I would think!

charliedontsurf

Accident is a weird word… You see if you take all the precautions you should take, follow he rules, don’t cut corners… You would not pull out on a cyclist

I believe an accident is a tyre blowing out, an avalanche…. Something Beyond your control.

People use the word to excuse themselves. But peterpoddy, I agree, it was not intended.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Charlie, its an accident. Caused by an error of judgement. We’re human and not perfect. People make errors all the time I’d stick my kneck out and say every person makes an error of some kind on every journey they ever make, no matter how good or careful they are. It’s just that most times we get away with it.

Did you not read that thing by the fighter pilot in that thread last week that explains how we can miss things so easily? Quite insightful actually. 🙂

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Accident is a weird word.

+1
    She (hopefully) didn’t see him, then collided with him.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I believe an accident is a tyre blowing out, an avalanche…. Something Beyond your control.

To be unnecessarily pedantic, most people caught in avalanches trigger them themselves.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You see if you take all the precautions you should take, follow he rules, don’t cut corners… You would not pull out on a cyclist

People use the word to excuse themselves

They dont you can accidentally hit someone and it still be your fault- reversed into a car last week I did not mean to , I did not aim for it but it was my fault.
    It is used to differentiate between hitting a cyclist/vehicle you did not see or notice [accident] and running them over on purpose.

Of course all accidents are avoidable but it would require infallible humans

faz083
    Free Member

what a crap porsche 😯

chakaping
    Free Member

Right, we should all not buy any Porsches from her garage.

That’ll learn her.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Accident is a weird word… You see if you take all the precautions you should take, follow he rules, don’t cut corners… You would not pull out on a cyclist

People use the word to excuse themselves. But peterpoddy, I agree, it was not intended.

This a bazillion times over. The word is used to absolve yourself from any kind of blame. How is not looking accidental?
    Boils my piss, same as “the cyclist was wearing a helmet” WTF? They never say “the motorist was wearing a seatbelt and had an airbag fitted” it’s all about blame and a duty of care to others. The average u.k motorist is a self centred cretin.

cynic-al
    Free Member

“accident” implies “no fault”…IMO shouldn’t be used for RTCs.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Nonsense. Humans are not perfect even when fully alert and paying attention.

That doesn’t mean it isn’t your fault though, but to say accidents would NEVER happen if people paid more attention is not true. Its impossible.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

“accident” implies “no fault”.

no it doesn’t.

shifter
    Free Member

Is that a 968 in the middle?

cynic-al
    Free Member

HoratioHufnagel – Member

“accident” implies “no fault”.

no it doesn’t.

Any definition I can find does not mention fault. In Road Traffic Collisions, there is almost always fault.

Why are RTAs now called RTCs then?

coffeeking
    Free Member

I don’t see why accident implies no fault, it means no intent. Oops I dropped a plate by accident. It was my fault, but I didnt’ want to do it. ooops I wet myself, I didn’t intend to but it’s my fault for not controlling it. oops I wrote my car off in a field, I didn’t intend to but I did it, it was my fault.

Any definition I can find does not mention fault.

It doesn’t mean to, the word never implied fault or lack thereof, it implied lack of intent. The definition of chicken doesn’t include “uncooked”.

People need to get a better grasp of English before complaining about “incorrect” use of words methinks. If people use it as a way of absolving themselves of responsibility it is THAT that needs adressing, and the fact that they don’t seem to realise accident!= no fault like many on here. Maybe a better standard of English teaching in schools?

Why are RTAs now called RTCs then?

Poor education and people in control of the wording having to deal with the general public who have a poor understanding of english?

🙂 Smiley face added because this wasn’t intended as stabbing at cynic-al, more of a general observation which just happens to be reflected in online forums. I’m no English expert but before I called for a change of wording I’d check whether my use of the wording was correct and change me if not.

Coyote
    Free Member

The average u.k motorist is a self centred cretin

I couldn’t agree more.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

what a crap porsche

why?

b45her
    Free Member

back in july i got hit off my blur 3 times in about 15 minutes.

1. woman in a focus cliped me and my bars with her mirror.
    2. as i was at the side of the road checking the bike over and the lady was writing down her details in case anything on my bike was broke an elderly guy crashed into it (the cock actually stopped and insisted i pay for a new mirror for his car!! i politely explained how many bones in his face i was about to break and he changed his mind)
    3. another woman in a focus drove into my back wheel as i was heading back home with a bent peddle, i had a full 5 or so seconds of eye contact with her as i was passing the junction and the idiot still managed to drive into the side of me .

juan
    Free Member

back in july i got hit off my blur 3 times in about 15 minutes.

mattjg
    Free Member

Subject to the cyclist following the rules of the road, a SMIDSY is not an accident, it’s a probable and foreseeable result of driving without due care and attention (or worse).

I think a true accident is something along the lines of what they call an ‘act of god’.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

incident is the correct non judgemental word to use surely– i agree accident implies no culpability, which as we know is rare

scaredypants

accident is indeed a shit word, especially when it’s just taken to mean “not deliberate” – virtually all crashes caused by driving without due care and even dangerous driving aren’t intentional but you’d be hard pushed to convince me that they were “accidents”

honourablegeorge

charlie the bikemonger – Member

I would.

She looks a bit manly to me, but go on.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The average u.k resident is a self centred cretin

Ftfy. Though what that has to with a lady un intentionally knocking wiggo off his bike is anyone’s guess.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

accidently on purpose ?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Wiggo crash update’ is closed to new replies.