Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • WiggleCRC to buy Bike24?
  • wwaswas

We’re rapidly running out of alternatives to them…

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/wigglecrc-in-100m-move-on-german-rival-bike24/022053

boxxer7
    Free Member

Oh great…..

vincienup
    Free Member

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Isn’t this the sort of thing that gets reviewed under fair trading laws etc?

wwaswas

They probably still have a relatively small share of the EU market so I doubt it’ll get referred to any body that might oversee it at that level.

z1ppy

Being as a warehouse guy (walsall) told me the site is in complete mess since they had all the CRC stock and new internal ordering system brought in, I doubt it’s the best idea they’ve ever had.

wwaswas

Well they certainly didn’t over package the chain ring I received this morning.

darrell
    Free Member

then I’ll stop using Bike24 and find someone else deserving of my money

5plusn8
    Free Member

I used to like bike 24, they are on my list, if they go the way of Wiggle and CRC then things will get boring fast.
    I wonder if this is a brexit move? To get a business in Europe so they can trade direct out of Europe once we lose access?

Gary_M
    Free Member

then I’ll stop using Bike24 and find someone else deserving of my money

Your local bike shop? If you have a conscience over using large online retailers then surely you should be supporting an independent shop?

core

Jeez, if you read that bikebiz link, and subsequent articles linked throughout, it doesn’t make for good reading on the state of the cycling industry.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

core – Member
    Jeez, if you read that bikebiz link, and subsequent articles linked throughout, it doesn’t make for good reading on the state of the cycling industry.

I think you’ll find that works just as well but can be used in more contexts.

jonnyboi

Bike24 is actually a decent outfit, they seem to stock the useful stuff (to me) that others don’t.

I wonder if this is a brexit related acquisition

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Competition is up, sales are down, the world is still in a slump overall and modern bikes last really well. Add in a recent boom which was never going to be sustained and the writing is on the wall.
    International buying and some funny currency shifts at the right time (Buy stock with a strong Euro and sell with a weak one for instance) mean that there were perceived bargains available.

I’d expect to see more consolidation from the big boys – Fox aligning ditro’s as an example and people holding less stock in future.

On top of all that you have a big influx of new and some disruptive brands to the market which have changed perceptions of what value is.

For the likes of Wiggle/CRC their profits are purely from volume, low overheads and tight margins. Add in an EU base to sell from – might be very important for their ROW markets post Brexit too.

jonnyboi

Your local bike shop? If you have a conscience over using large online retailers then surely you should be supporting an independent shop?

I’d love to do this more, but in a competitive market the variation is price I would pay is just too great.

looking to buy a new helmet this week. do it get it for £69.99 online or 109.99 at my local store?

daern
    Free Member

It sounds so easy, doesn’t it? Right up until when you realise that the pair of SKS mudguards on the shelf are, literally, twice the price they are on any online shop. And they will also charge fitting, even when being fitted to the brand new bike you’ve just bought from them. I understand why this is, but I’m fortunate to have other options.

I feel for the LBS industry, I really do, but my personal experiences of them has tended to be negative rather than positive and, speaking personally, I’ve done everything I can to make myself mechanically self-sufficient because, in the not-to-distant future, that’s what will be needed to be a cyclist.

scc999

My LBS is Halfords or a BSO emporium.
    Oh, actually there’s a place that just does BMXs and scooters too – but that’s not really an option for anything I might actually want.

jonnyboi

For me, the new small businesses are self employed mechanics who used to work for your LBS. Buy online and use them for fitting or repairs that you can’t do yourself.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve found Bike24 to not be price competitive in the last year or so due to the pound.

Makes absolute business sense though when UK companies can no longer trade in Europe.

Gary_M
    Free Member

It sounds so easy, doesn’t it? Right up until when you realise that the pair of SKS mudguards on the shelf are, literally, twice the price they are on any online shop. And they will also charge fitting, even when being fitted to the brand new bike you’ve just bought from them. I understand why this is, but I’m fortunate to have other options.

Completely agree, and price is king for me. But if I was purchasing based on the shop being ‘deserving of my money’, rather than price, then that would be an independent surely.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d love to do this more, but in a competitive market the variation is price I would pay is just too great.

looking to buy a new helmet this week. do it get it for £69.99

Some bike shops are a bit different though, I’m fortunate enough that my lbs of choice, not too far from GaryM up there either, are fairly competitive. I’ve never asked them for a discount, but they always give me as good a deal as they can – Madison allow them to price match CRC et al – but I feel like a dick asking that, so never have. They’ve really possibly got the best stocked in terms of MTB kit shop in the country, I don’t mind paying a few quid more.

ransos
    Free Member

My LBS usually charges full retail. On the other hand, they gave my wife a hefty discount on a new bike, after hers had been stolen, and gave me a nice loan bike for free when mine was in for new suspension bearings.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Maybe i’ve just been really lucky, but I think Wiggle are great.
    Very rare I have to go elsewhere to find better prices, delivery is always prompt and any (very rare) problems always dealt with quickly and easily.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Let’s hope they don’t buy up bike-discount, R2Bike etc
    Even with the crap exchange rate you can still get bargains from the German sites and also parts that never seem to be in stock in the UK or available.

andyrm
    Free Member

It’s a smart move, allows 2 way trading regardless whether GBP or EUR is dominant at at any point in time and allows more territorial coverage.

In real terms, I don’t see there’ll be a huge difference once the dust settles and systems integrate fully.

As for BikeBiz, that site could turn “found £50 on the floor” into a bad news story, they have such a negative slant on everything rather than trying to be a proper voice for an industry sector. Unless good old Carlton Reid has a new book or government grant funded project to push of course……

wwaswas

Purchase confirmed.

kerley
    Free Member

Maybe i’ve just been really lucky, but I think Wiggle are great.
    Very rare I have to go elsewhere to find better prices, delivery is always prompt and any (very rare) problems always dealt with quickly and easily.

Agree. Used them for years and spent £1,000s with not a single issue. Always use free delivery option and always comes in a couple of days.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘WiggleCRC to buy Bike24?’ is closed to new replies.