Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Wiggle "Service & Advice Centres" opening
  • simon_g

Interesting development in the LBS vs online battle:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sc/cycle-service-centres

A local “service & advice centre” tucked away in the corner of a local Homebase. Order stuff online, pick it up the next day. Servicing and bike fit stuff on site. Presumably no stock to keep beyond servicing basics, and get anything else needed in the following day. Very low overheads.

Another nail in the coffin of the LBS, or a useful extension of the buying online that most people seem to do anyway?

Jamie
    Free Member

Basic? In/near a Homebase? Next day click & Collect? No stock?

Isn’t that a Halfords?

xanboy
    Free Member

Ha ha, Halfords have a store in what is essentially the same industrial estate.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigshep
    Free Member

So they can do this but won’t set up a collections/returns counter in Portsmouth.
    Instead you have to wait 2-3 days to receive something from less than a mile away.
    I personally think they’re a great company and I’m pleased they’re doing well and employing a lot of local people.
    But ordering stuff from CRC and getting it sooner than a place a mile away?

brooess
    Free Member

Not an LBS killer as they don’t sell complete bikes in-store but if I was a local LBS I’d be thinking hard about what it is I offer and to which customer segment, which Wiggle don’t or can’t…

As much as I use Wiggle, it will be a real shame if, on the back of a real revolution in UK cycling, we lose the network of LBS and the culture that goes with them.

wiggles
    Free Member

As much as I use Wiggle, it will be a real shame if, on the back of a real revolution in UK cycling, we lose the network of LBS and the culture that goes with them.

Use your lbs instead of wiggle then?

iffoverload
    Free Member

Just like to mention that Wiggles pricematch can take 2 days to reply, by which time the deal you are hoping to get a match on may no longer be in stock and not qualify.. 😐

re Halfords, ordered some Shimano brake parts online on a Saturday night, got a text on tuesday morning, 😀

brooess
    Free Member

I do use an LBS when I need to e.g. buying whole bikes, or shoes or gloves where fit is really important. But here’s a scenario:

I was in my LBS yesterday. I know them well – I ride with them too. I was picking up a pair of wheels I’d bought from a clubmate and I said do you have any Campag or Surly QRs for these wheels – they’re stockists of both brands. Answer – no, have a look online.

This isn’t because they’re crap – they’re a very successful and respected LBS but there’s some things they’ve decided they can make a good business from and some things it’s not worth it – fair enough – that;s good business sense.

Sometimes Wiggle is the best place to go…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Wiggle "Service & Advice Centres" opening’ is closed to new replies.