Viewing 24 posts - 201 through 224 (of 224 total)
  • Wiggins v Froome – handbags at dawn?
  • LS
    Free Member

I’ve said that power outputs up to 400W up final Col climbs for 70kg riders are not suspicious

So ~450 for Indurain up a final col (your figures) shouldn’t be either seeing as he was at least 80kgs. Now in the light of all that’s happened, I’m not sure as to Indurain’s life on bread and water. So either the figures are wrong and he was a doper, or he was clean and used to blitz all the other dopers despite being (in your words) the wrong shape. Which one is it?

Junkyard
    Free Member

boardman holds [ held technically] two hour records* not just the superman one
    Do you do this mis interpretration deliberatedly – perhaps he had miles more watts for th eothers or only just beat it in this position to not raise suspicion and he eased off ?

This was a rational way for the UCI to handle the diverging goals of the record setters. It has been calculated (bikecult.com) that Eddy Merckx required a sustained effort of 485 watts while Francesco Moser’s effort on a modern time-trial bike with disc wheels that took him over a kilometer further needed only(!) 446 watts

http://bikeraceinfo.com/records/wrldhour.html

Obvioulsy Mercyx was off his head on PEDS then as this level is impossible etc . interstingly it is more tham Marting and Wiggins so do we add him to the list of cheats or revaluate your wattage claims? I think I can guess

* hour record and best human effort

Edukator
    Free Member

Those posting power figures for Wiggo compare for yourselves and make your own judgements.

Make your own judgement as I suggested, LS. You seem to be missing the point of that list, nobody made more than 400W up final climbs before 1990 whatever their size or weight.

Yes I think the 481W for Martin is suspicious, Aracer. Boardman had a significantly lower power:weight ratio using your own figures so less suspicious. There’s something I can see with my own eyes about Boardman’s performance, an aero advantage I can’t quantify that makes it impossible to compare his performance with any other rider before or after except Obree. I don’t know.

LS
    Free Member

I see the point clearly – my argument (and my judgement) is that the figures can’t be relied on. In my opinion if you’re going to start accusing people according to data, then that data has to be watertight. It isn’t, for the reasons I’ve been over above.

We know there were dopers, we know there still are now. That’s it.

molgrips
    Free Member

nobody made more than 400W up final climbs before 1990 whatever their size or weight.

That was almost quarter of a century ago…

Edukator
    Free Member

You sound just like Armstrong’s defence lawyer, LS. However, on this:

We know there were dopers, we know there still are now. That’s it.

I agree.

LS
    Free Member

You sound just like Armstrong’s defence lawyer, LS

I’ve never been so insulted 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

nobody made more than 400W up final climbs before 1990 whatever their size or weight.

and the figures NOW show they are not now so what is your point?

Boardman had a significantly lower power:weight ratio using your own figures so less suspicious.

no it is higher as he weighs less by 5 kg – aracer perhaps you best say that as he seems to be unable to respond to my comments – I guess we could add cannot count to cannot read 😉

Boardman power/weight = 6.6 watts /kg
    Martin = 6.41

Well i dont expect this will stop you either from continuing your claim 🙄

clubber
    Free Member

It might be worth noting at this point that you need to be very careful with weight figures. We all know that this was one of the things that Armstrong used to lie about to make him look more credible.

Edukator
    Free Member

Ooops, is that the time?! Bye for now. Good game, a doping thread and the tone didn’t rise beyond “asshat”.

Edit; though I’m surprised Junkyard can see the computer screen he spends so much time rolling his eyes.

clubber
    Free Member

By TJ rules, Edukator, you lose! 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

Ooops, is that the time?! Bye for now

Is that the French defence (does anybody have a more accurate location for Edu?)

I agree with JY’s figures – Martin’s “highly suspicious” ride is at a lower power/weight than Boardman’s hour.

There’s something I can see with my own eyes about Boardman’s performance, an aero advantage I can’t quantify that makes it impossible to compare his performance with any other rider before or after except Obree.

Yet we have a power figure for Boardman’s ride, let me see now, was it 462W? The aero advantage is irrelevant as we’re not arguing about how fast he went. Or are you just waffling now your figures have been proved to be flawed?

clubber
    Free Member

French by residence defence, I think 😉

Edukator
    Free Member

By nationality too.

clubber
    Free Member

Ah, I thought it was just your wife… my mistake 🙂

(fellow French national, well, dualy at least)

phil.w
    Free Member

By nationality too.

ahh… all is now explained. 🙂

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Loads of data here for anyone’s that’s interested…

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm, that data only looks at specific performances as far as I can tell, rather than the sustained tour-long performance we were talking about earlier.

It’d be interesting to look at frequency of serious attacks on climbs from each rider, or their success rate perhaps.

Klunk
    Free Member

seems like the decision has been made. I wonder whether Brad has been demoted partly because of his rather abrasive relationship with the media in last years race ?

atlaz
    Free Member

Or maybe just because it’s unlikely someone can peak for the Giro and then peak for the Tour these days. Not impossible but if you have two genuine GC candidates, makes sense to use them.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Bit mean of the Beeb, to photoshop both hairdos in that photo.

higgo
    Free Member

I wonder whether Brad has been demoted partly because of his rather abrasive relationship with the media in last years race.

I would be astonished if that was the case.

mogrim

I wonder whether Brad has been demoted partly because of his rather abrasive relationship with the media in last years race.
    I would be astonished if that was the case.

Me too, he’s managed to get knighted, sports personality of the year, etc. etc. The odd getting drunk or off-script moment doesn’t really detract much from his image. (If he’d failed to win, of course, it would be a different matter…)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I thought he was loved even more by the French media than the British, no?

Viewing 24 posts - 201 through 224 (of 224 total)

The topic ‘Wiggins v Froome – handbags at dawn?’ is closed to new replies.