Viewing 21 posts - 281 through 301 (of 301 total)
  • Wiggins Giro (spoiler)
  • unklehomered
    Free Member

I’ve had summer manflu, i just became really clumsy and was knocking everything over, I would have been a liability in a peloton , Wiggins is doing the right thing… 😉

On other news, the Tour of California has been excellent, day 2 44 degrees, at the top of the final climb they had to have people grabbing the riders and wheeling them off to safety to stop them all just toppling over into a heap. The moment they crossed the line everything went, ruined ruined people right there…

crazy-legs

Yeah I know that and I know it’s a tactic that Lance and USPS used to great success (ignoring the fact that they were all doped up to the eyeballs).

But with Uran right up at the front, it makes sense to leave him there, use the rest of the team to help Brad. The more team members you have high up on GC, the more options you have with forcing opponents to chase down attacks. Not talking about spreading support in terms of having 2 leaders, just keeping as many people up there on GC.

Best Giro for years.

+1. And what’s with the weather this year?! It’s never normally that bad is it?

tinsy
    Free Member

ALL road races could do with a little more of this. 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Northern Italy’s weather is very unpredictable at best, so yes some years are like this. Good though in a Hard Bitch kinda way.
    I’ve done at Tour of Lombardia and quite a few Gran Fondos in the Eastern Doli’s, some days blessed with epic 30c following days 11C and rain/fog.. Mental riding.

Best Giro? Hmmm next couple of days and I might just comment on that.

Today’s stage looks epic, monster climb and swoopy flats.. I do think the Peloton will pace back now Wiggs is out, the Ave for today I recon will be 40k’s and a mad break possibly with Pirazzi/De Luca in it again.. Maybe Scarponi..

DenDennis
    Free Member

Where does Froome’s missus get her voodoo dolls from? I want to know. 😯

shame Brads out but in my view, he still couldn’t cut it on the real steep stuff even without sickness- it would still have been a tough Giro, regardless of the fact it was said that the course suited him.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I wonder what odds you could have gotten on Uran at the start of the Giro? May not be a bad bet the way he rode away from Nibali the other day and given the profile of the stages to come, just needs to chip away at the gap on the summit finishes.

jimster
    Free Member

My fault, knew I shouldn’t have picked him for my Velogames team. 😥

mrhoppy

Pfft, I had him and Ryder.

thecrookofdevon

Real shame about Wiggo. Load of nonsense about last year’s tour being easy. It might have suited him but it was not easy.
    What amazes me and perhaps it is heresy to mention it but I’ll do it anyway, how did Armstrong manage to stay upright and healthy for 7 tours. Now I know he was on everything but so were all the rest of the contenders. But he never seemed to get ill or really have a bad prang or even get things tactically wrong. Makes for much more interesting racing now the teams are all over the place IMO. Before I get flamed, I’m not holding up Armstrong as any kind of hero just commenting how remarkable it was.

mugsys_m8

Galibier not looking good for Sunday. Still lots of snow to clear…..

mugsys_m8
    crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

LA did far fewer races compared to most modern GC guys, he specialized in the Tour and didn’t ride much else, so less long term stress on the body, less exposure to viruses, and less riding in lousy conditions.

And all the drugs.

corroded
    Free Member

I can’t be the only one feeling guiltily glad Wiggo’s gone. I’m looking forward to seeing Uran let off the leash and hope the support he’ll receive will be given a little more wholeheartedly than it was to Sir Brad.

jonba
    Free Member

Shame to see him gone but when he crahsed out in ’11 I think it gave him the focus and desire to come back even stronger in ’12. Maybe this will be the kick he needs.

As for the Tour, Froome came in second riding as a domestique for Brad. I imagine Brad will be told to ride for Froome but in the back of his mind will be thinking that if he can stay with him and not lose too much time he could get a good position and possibly nail the TT to get some advantage.

Sky need to put all their eggs in the Wiggins basket. You cannot spread yourself out on races like this and hope to do well. You need to commit to win and risk big failures.

mogrim

Real shame about Wiggo. Load of nonsense about last year’s tour being easy. It might have suited him but it was not easy.

It was relatively easy: Sky had by far the best team, long TT stages, and Shleck and Contador were both missing. Not easy, of course, but relatively so.

wwaswas

He picked a good time. 250km today and this is a current view of where they’re riding next week;

thecrookofdevon

So will they all be riding fatbikes on the stage up the Galibier?

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

So basically that Giro was ideal prep for the Tour for Wiggins, hard racing without having to do a full 3 weeks. Not good news for Froome, great news for the public. Tour might kick-off in the way it looked like it might last year.

tinsy
    Free Member

101?

tinsy
    Free Member

Love it, looked even more blown than yesterday… long sprint that..

mooman
    Free Member

Edric 64 – Member

Th tt went to plan fine but he had a puncture he would have won it easily but for that

No it didn`t .. he was meant to put a couple mins on everybody. A buffer for the time he would lose in the mtn top stages.

Would he be pulling out if he had a 2min advantage 🙄

Viewing 21 posts - 281 through 301 (of 301 total)

The topic ‘Wiggins Giro (spoiler)’ is closed to new replies.