Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Wifi Tech Help for a Numpty Req'd
  • Nobby

Over the past few months we have had issues at home with wifi connections being lost by various devices in the house. Often, the only way to reconnect is to turn wifi off on one or two devices & then the one you are using sorts itself out.

Its a D Link DSL 2780 from TalkTalk which has recently had a firmware upgrade to (allegedly) solve any connection issues. According to their tech support there is no limit to the number of devices that can be wirelessly connected but I have a feeling, from what I’ve read on t’interweb, that there may be a bandwith issue.

I really don’t get all this modern jargon but can anyone try & explain/diagnose what the issue might be please?

druidh
    Free Member

The first thing you should do is change the “channel” it is operating on as it may be getting interference from other nearby routers.

Nobby

I did change it that, on advice, to “auto-channel”.

druidh
    Free Member

No – change it to something like 11.

Nobby

Ok, I’ll try that, ta.

Haze

Use this to check what other channels are in use nearby, set it to something different.

jekkyl

in addition to the above, if you have a smart phone download ‘wifi analyser’ or something similar – this will tell you what wifi signals are around your property and you can decide which channel to put yours on. As druid suggested 11 is normally free or up around there as most people set them to auto they frequently just hang around 3/4. Also whilst you’re there change the wifi name to something amusing, fun for your neighbours.

Nobby

Thanks chaps.

And jekkyl, “Nobby’s” presence is already in use….. 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Wifi Tech Help for a Numpty Req'd’ is closed to new replies.