Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Wifi signal improvement.
  • King-ocelot
    Free Member

I’ve recently had an extension and the wifi signal is weak to that part of the house as it’s far away from the router. Do those simple £20 boosters actually work? Plug it into a mains socket and off you go, they seem too good/cheap to be true.

phiiiiil

I just got a £20 plug in belkin thing from Argos to improve the signal in our conservatory (it cut out for the last thirty seconds of the last stage of the TdF, I was not amused); it works very well. A minute to tell it which WiFi point to connect to then everything just magically worked.

cb

We have some but the version where you (have an option to) plug an ethernet cable in ‘locally’. We did this to get better speeds for my other half whilst working in her office and for online gaming for the PS3. We paid a little more than £20 for the set of three that we have (maybe £60) but the difference was incredible – and they’ve been reliable. Little bit annoying to set-up but that was me being an IT luddite and poor instructions.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Cheers guys i am looking at that one in argos. I want to spend as little as possible as I won’t use it too often. Cheers

antigee

i recently bought one of these as had some dead area’s in the house and it did the job

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1070754.htm

deadkenny
    Free Member

A standard booster that repeats the signal will cut the WiFi throughput speed in half generally. Though if your Internet speed is low then you might not notice. If it’s fast then it will be an issue.

First thing is to consider moving the router to a more central location. They’re often tucked away in the corner of the house and half the signal is just being absorbed by walls.

Other than that, wired repeaters. Either add a Wireless Access Point in another location with an Ethernet cable between the access point and router, or use the power wiring within the house and get some powerline adapters.

You can get powerline/homeplug adapters to do wireless or ones that have Ethernet ports and wire up to anything you like the other end (another access point or hard wire a device if it’s not likely to move about).

oldnpastit

If you’re not already using 802.11n, then upgrading to that should/might also help.

cheekyget
    Free Member

I’ve heard ….if your wifi box is against the party wall….you can place a sheet of foil between the two….and it will bounce the signal back into your house and increase the strength

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Wifi signal improvement.’ is closed to new replies.