Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • WiFi extenders…
  • Kryton57

I MIGHT try Zwift in my mancave. Any recommendations/issues to look for or will some thing cheap and simple like this do?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/wifi-range-extenders/belkin-f9k1015-uk-wifi-range-extender-10146978-pdt.html

?

reformedfatty
    Free Member

I use them at home. Key downside is it roughly halves the speed when you’re connected to the extender rather than the router.

scaredypants

you can get powerline kits for about double that outlay

Haze

+1 for the powerline

atlaz
    Free Member

Powerline +2

mrblobby
    Free Member

Powerline FTW. Devolo ones here.

Jason
    Free Member

Power line adapters won’t work in my house. I use a Netgear EX6100 wifi extender to get a strong signal for my turbo setup. Works fine for Zwift, although as mentioned above it does half the speed.

thepurist

-1 for the powerline – they ruined my radio reception. Got a cheap netgear extender last week and it’s doing just fine, haven’t noticed any loss of performance but then again I don’t stream much stuff through it.

Kryton57

I only want it to connect to zwift in the mancave. I’m running at 29mb/s so my option would still be good?

All else connects to the router.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

We’ve got Powerline adaptor, TP Link AV500 ones. 1 wired to the router, 4 wireless ones around the house because it’s all brick built and seemingly impenetrable to WI-FI unless you’re in the study!

Seem to work well enough, although can be slow to move from one point to another so sometimes I walk into the kitchen and there’s no wi-fi despite being stood next to the plug.

Haven’t noticed any interference issues.

There was something about the number of access points and users and max speed they could then achieve, but it’s 500mbs divided by whatever, so it would need a lot before it actually impinged on the speed of the broadband itself.

Jason
    Free Member

I only want it to connect to zwift in the mancave. I’m running at 29mb/s so my option would still be good?

Even at half of that you will have no problem with Zwift. It is more reliant on a steady signal, than a super fast one.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Power line adaptors look good. How do you set up WiFi on WiFi versions? Any additional kit required?

deadkenny
    Free Member

thepurist – Member 
    -1 for the powerline – they ruined my radio reception

Shortwave?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘WiFi extenders…’ is closed to new replies.