Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Wifi dead zones in the house ?? .. tried extenders etc ?
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Have lived in this house 15+ years and while renovating it i ran network cables between all the rooms while the floor boards were up, but with wireless introduction these cables got used less and less and eventually as you decorate each room again these cable got cut off and shoved under the floorboards again, But im starting to miss the cables as we have very very little wireless signals in the back bedrooms which drives my lad mad and its now getting to me as i use zwift in the back room and have no signal to speak off !
    ive tried extenders and different wireless cards but not much helps, any ideas for better wireless signals?

ps44
    Free Member

A bit techy, but do you have a dual band hub (2.4 and 5 GHz) and have you tried splitting them to control what you connect with ? 2.4 will spread much further through the house, but an extender should sort things as long as it has a strong enough signal where it sits.

I use the “WiFi Sweetspots” app to work out how the signal varies around the house and how to make best use of it.

Cletus

I use Devolo Homeplug adapters with WiFi access points built in. They communicate over the home power cables and broadcast the same wireless network id so that devices will connect to the nearest access point within the house.
    More details at http://www.devolo.com/en/Technology/WiFi-Move-Technology-always-connected/

jambalaya
    Free Member

Best solition (imo) would be to get one of these cables and stick a wifi router on the end if it creating a new “bedrooms” network. Which is what I did via TP-Link but an ethernet wire is better. Perhaps you can call it the same with seemless switching between the main one, not sure.

As an aside a good mate (and techy) put ethernet into his brand new house. Yup wifi is good these days but a wire is better (in my and his opinion). He has cabled internet to all his tv points (apple tv / kodi devices) and his office. He has a guest wifi and uses wifi primarily for ipads. The rest has a wire.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I recently installed one of these, BT Mini Wi-Fi 600 Home Hotspot Powerline Adapter Kit it uses the powerline to get the signal to the WiFi repeater. You can change the SSID and password so that the same password does the whole house.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Tried the sweet spot app , drops to zero in the back bedroom ! 😯

infidel
    Free Member

I went through this for ages and used a home plug solution with an apple airport express creating a second network in the house for a long time. It was ok.

Naming the 2nd network the same as the first and giving them the same password made it seem like one big network but devices did struggle to switch between the two. Something to do with ‘handoff’.

Eventually I got irritated with the system and bought an Ubiquiti unifi ac pro access point which has been superb. I now have seamless wifi throughout the house and halfway up a 100m drive. It also lets me set user permissions to control kids access.

Review

ps44
    Free Member

Can you find a midway point with reasonable signal where you could put an extender ?
    I locate stuff based on line of sight connection between devices (assuming the walls are transparent) and about 25% signal degradation for each brick course using 2.4GHz (50% with 5GHz).

bravesirrobin

You should consider putting wireless access points in the dead-zones and using the existing ethernet to connect these back to your core ADSL router (star topology). Often you can configure ADSL wireless routers in “Access Point” mode and configure the same SSID on a different wireless channel so it all appears as one wireless network. I have a Draytek Vigor 2710 ADSL wireless router and AP800 Access Point configured in this way and it works well. This would be far more effective and reliable than using power line adapters.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Wifi dead zones in the house ?? .. tried extenders etc ?’ is closed to new replies.