Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Wife's new laptop slowing down the network.
  • nickjb
    Free Member

The wife has just bought a new hp pavilion laptop. When she connects to the WiFi the whole system slows right down for every user including her. Its normally fine and when it’s turned off everything goes back to normal after a few minutes. It came with some bloatware which I’ve removed and I’ve taken McAfee off for defender. It doesn’t seem to be creating much traffic according to task manager. Not sure what else to try. Tp link router has been off and on a few times without success.

Moses

is it running skype or similar in the background ?

McHamish
    Free Member

I don’t know a huge amount about latest MS OS, but I would assume it’s the same under a fancy skin.

Is it downloading loads of updates in the background?

Cougar

See if there’s an option to force 802.11n (check the router’s wireless config too). If it’s connecting at 802.11b speeds or something stupid, the entire router can switch to lowest common denominator (especially if it’s the sort of shitbox hub typically given away by ISPs).

I can’t imagine why a modern NIC would do this so it’s a shot in the dark, but I can’t think of much else it could be offhand.

jam-bo

I know it’s not a lenevo but my new work laptop came with this installed which **** our work network for an hour or so while we worked out what was going on. Maybe something similar.

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/documents/ht081844

parkesie
    Free Member

Auto update running in the background?

nickjb
    Free Member

On task manager on the laptop it’s showing very little network traffic.

johnners
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have thought the Pavillions would have been lumbered with it but my HP ProBook came with all manner of OEM nonsense much of which duplicated the Windows Update function. It was downloading about a Gb worth of Windows Updates repackaged by HP and seemed to be fighting Windows Update for the privilege. It settled down after a few hours but I cleaned all the proprietary crap off anyway, it’s fine now.

mattyfez

How many devices are connected to the router?

nickjb
    Free Member

7 I think. Its fine with her old laptop.

mattyfez

Also windows 10 updates are a bit different.. You might want to look up how they work and disable the sharing of updates. . Might be that.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Aye go into wi does update in the settings I think windows 10 is set to use a bit torrent style system for their updates. You can either turn it off, allow it to share the updates across your home network or share updates across the web.

Might be set to the latter, I can’t remember if that was default or not. Also go into security while you are at it and turn off the 10 or so setting that send reports back to Microsoft. Doubt they’ll cause network problems, but w10 does send a lot of info to Microsoft by default.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Windows 10 talks a heck of a lot plus those free stuff that get bolted onto your laptop need getting sorted, not just removing as they still have network access. sort them out using your computer firewall or via editing your system.

NZCol

Xhamster secret stash updating, I’m telling you…

andyfla
    Free Member

id be tempted to leave it on overnight/over weekend and see if it is updates, etc which are being downloaded

P-Jay
    Free Member

Have a look at the update settings there’s nearly 200 updates from SP1 to the current version of Win7, it takes 4 hours or more to complete them all on our 200mb lease line in work. Could be still updating.

nickjb
    Free Member

Thanks all. Looks it might be onedrive. For some reason it said it was 8Gb through uploading 87Gb. There isn’t 87Gb of stuff on it or anywhere near! Logged out and turned off uploading at it seems much happier at the moment. Weird that it wasn’t reporting it on task manager.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Only allow your wife to turn her laptop on at night. Let it update to its hearts content when you are all sleeping.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I was gonna say Onedrive, my sister connected with her laptop and it killed my internet, she had Onedrive running in the background at the time.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Wife's new laptop slowing down the network.’ is closed to new replies.