Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Wife wants an iPad – whats the best one to buy?
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Is there any point in buying anything other than the base model?

I assume John Lewis is the best place to buy from.

beckykirk43
    Free Member

If you don’t need the extra memory then no point in getting it. And if it’s only go to be used with wifi then don’t bother with the 3G models 😛

John Lewis are selling for exactly the same price as apple directly.

trailertrash

Er…..depends where you want to use it, how much shizzle you want to keep on it and whether or not JL is the only stockist in your area….

mrchrispy

Base model form the apple referb store (it’s on their main site), use referb-tracker to alert you when one is available

dave_aber
    Free Member

Asus Transformer.

nickjb
    Free Member

The basic models lack GPS. This may or may not be an issue if you want to play with it.

unovolo
    Free Member

I have the 16GB Wifi Ipad Mk1, apps don’t take up much space but if she wants lots of music and/or video stored on it too then I would probably go for one with larger capacity.

Dont miss the 3G as I can tether it with bluetooth to my Android phone if needs be (which is about twice in the year I have owned it).

Dont miss the camera of the ipad 2 either, would look abit prattish walking around taking pics of stuff with it and as Facetime only works over wifi with other I thingys then dont think it probably would get that much usage either.

The apple refurbs are good value too .

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Most half decent android phones will act as a wifi access point. If you have one of these then the 3G is virtually redundant on tablet.

CaptJon
    Free Member

16gb 3g

tang
    Free Member

Check the cashback sites, bound to be loads of offers on.

fenred
    Free Member

Forget iPad, I was looking at tablets a few weeks ago and went for an acer iconia running android, honeycomb 3.2…Awesome bit of kit! As soon as my 2 yr iphone tie in ends I’m going android on that too. Take a look at JL website, you’ll be suprised how much cheaper and better spec’d 😀

CountZero

I think the fact that the OP’s wife specifically wants an iPad means she’s not going to be interested in a second-rate knock-off running an OS that’s vulnerable to malware, and needs considerable knowledge to keep up to date with updates.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

An Android one. 😉

After all, if your wife wanted a Hoover, you might buy her a Dyson, a Sebo, or an Electrolux. If she wanted Sellotape, you might buy her some 3M tape….

clunker

New one is due out early next year, might be worth holding on for a while.

dave_aber
    Free Member

I think the fact that the OP’s wife specifically wants an iPad means she’s not going to be interested in a second-rate knock-off running an OS that’s vulnerable to malware, and needs considerable knowledge to keep up to date with updates.

Best just get her a new iRon then.

leffeboy

Get the 3G. It’s nice on just WiFi but it’s brilliant being able to use it wherever you are. I got it thinking I wouldn’t use it much but now find it indispensable

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

After all, if your wife wanted a Hoover, you might buy her a Dyson, a Sebo, or an Electrolux. If she wanted Sellotape, you might buy her some 3M tape….

But he wouldn’t buy her a cheap knock-off from the discount store.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

August story? About 53 threads here about it? Find me something new flash. Now. 😡

prettygreenparrot

if you have an iPhone running iOS 5 or a MiFi device then the WiFi only iPad is ideal. You can use the iPhone’s ‘personal hotspot’ for WiFi out & about at chronic 3G speeds. Even without those I’d be reluctant to go for a 3G iPad. It does not look as good and costs too much more.

32GB is about right: enough for a bunch of music, ebooks and video. You can get by with 16GB, but no one ever complained of having too much storage.

dave_aber
    Free Member

if you have an iPhone running iOS 5 or a MiFi device

or any reasonable smartphone from the last few years….

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

32 Gb, without 3G – for the reasons above.

Getting via Apple does mean you can get name engraved on the rear for free – which might be a useful security thing…

3% cashback on quidco at the moment btw

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

She went for the 16gb wifi option and loves it. Nice wee bit of kit.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Wife wants an iPad – whats the best one to buy?’ is closed to new replies.