Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Wife says I can buy a new bike if I sell my old one!!
  • scottpat06
    Free Member

My wife says I can buy a new bike! But there is a catch. I would have to sell my current bike. Basically because we couldn’t afford to keep both. I can’t decide if I should or not. I don’t know how much I could sell my bike for. Can someone give me a rough price? It’s a Cove hummer bought brand new in 2014 direct from cove in Canada. It’s the last of the 26″ wheel version.

Forks (rockshox revelation rct3)
    Handle bars (superstar)
    Grips (superstar)
    Stem (Genesis)
    Brakes (avid ex9 carbon)
    Cranks (shimano slx m675 10speed)
    Front mech (slx m675)
    Rear mech (slx m675)
    Seat post (da bomb xc)
    Pedals (spd)
    Headset bearings (hope)
    Chain (sram pc1031)
    Wheels (Mavic Crossone)
    Cassette slx
    Shifters slx
    Tyres maxxis minions

Cheers

chrishc777
    Free Member

Last pass I got from the mrs was if I sold all my mtbs and the road bike I could have a gixxer.. She doesn’t notice upgrades though!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

£500

scottpat06
    Free Member

If I was only going to get £500 I wouldn’t bother. I paid £900 for the frame alone and everything else was brand new.

dyls

Difficulty now is that no one (or not a lot) seem to want a 26″ bike. I have a 26″ blur but its worth more to me to keep it than sell it.

bruneep

split it.

nice stealth advert 😉

superstu
    Free Member

Think you may be disappointed with what it’s worth…

chakaping
    Free Member

Why you wanna change bikes so soon?

Did the Cove not turn out to be much cop?

You know ti bikes are supposed to be “for life”, yeah?

scottpat06
    Free Member

I still love the bike but fancy going back to full sus. Still not 100% I know it will have dropped in value but it’s still a ti bike!

LMT
    Free Member

Second hand market is terrible, I only got the bare minimal for my Camber when I eventually sold it, wanted to keep it but someone said no bike had to go, hoping the buyer for my other bike doesn’t show up as my new bike is home now!

jam-bo

Just get a new frame. Plenty of short travel 26″ frames about. Something like a bandit or a five would suit that build.

nwill1
    Free Member

Jam bo +1

I have a Ti HT, Stanton Slackline, brought it 2nd hand off a guy on here, I won’t say how much but if you search my history you’ll see it…it was not much money for hell of a lot of bike, Pikes, Reverb, Crossmax, XT! I’m fortunate that I also have a Five. Wouldn’t like I be without either, the Ti for XC/trail the FS for the rough stuff!

If I couldn’t keep both and was in your situation money being the factor I’d buy a 26″ Five second hand, they’re going for £550-£650 from what I’ve seen, run the Ti in te summer, FS in winter, they both have their merits and would probably be great in different ways, if you can stretch to £1250 you could buy an ace 2nd hand Five, the bottom has fallen out of the 2nd hand 26″ market but they’re still great bikes just 1.5″ slower 😉

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Do you tell your wife what she can and can’t spend her money on?

allthepies
    Free Member

Is it the tax or the insurance 🙂

somafunk

Wife says I can buy a new bike if I sell my old one!!

I call troll and claim my £5 finders fee.

Gary_C

Grow some balls & just buy the damn bike!

🙄

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Imagine a post on Mumsnet:

“Husband tells me I can buy a new dress if I sell my old one”

hummerlicious
    Free Member

I just sold my Hummer, albeit a 2009, XTR, revelations, easton carbon bars and seatpost for £700

Cove Hummer by Jim Barrow, on Flickr

scottpat06
    Free Member

Haha she doesn’t usually mind what I spend our money on. But she would have something to say if I spent 2k without talking about it.

pinetree
    Free Member

Keep it and ride it. Hummers are brilliant bikes, irrespective of age (and yours isn’t even that old!)

poah
    Free Member

My wife says I can buy a new bike!

get a new wife

robland
    Free Member

Like pinetree said keep it

doh
    Free Member

Seems reasonable, I’ve stuck to a two bike rule for the past few
    Years. If it’s not worth anything to you get rid of it before it ends up totally worthless.
    If you want a full suss sell the wheels fork and frame for what you can get.

Dunno what the 26 market is like but I’ve sold 8 and 9 speed stuff for almost the same as original rrp on ebay. If the parts have a market they will get a good price. If not either keep or take a loss and get rid of.

scottpat06
    Free Member

After a crackin ride this morning. I’m going to keep it, its an awesome bike to ride. I’ll probably keep it until I break it and buy a full sus next year when money isn’t so tight. Thanks for the opinions

DickBarton

Sounds a sensible idea…you can only ride 1 bike at once so why have more? If you want a new bike, get rid of the old…

Cancel that…I only read yout thread title and nothing else…you have decided to keep the current steed (bike not wife!)…

cloudnine
    Free Member

Buy a nice condition second hand 26″ fs frame and swap the bits over..

martinhutch

Just make sure your financial prudence and self-sacrifice has been duly noted by your other half. 🙂

oldtalent
    Free Member

Haha she doesn’t usually mind what I spend our money on. But she would have something to say if I spent 2k without talking about it.

Shared money? Its either your money or her money surely? (not married so dont know how these things work)

convert

Shared money? Its either your money or her money surely? (not married so dont know how these things work)

You don’t do you!

To be fair Mrs C and I put all our wages into the joint pot and then pay ourselves a monthly allowance each (both get the same) to buy crap like clothes and bikes from. I look like a threadbare hobo with a fair few toys. She is nicely dressed and has a personal isa with the excess. Turns out my wasteful hobbies are more expense than hers.

But we are the exception, most married couples just chuck it in one pot and then bitch at each other (or not, some just simmer silently) about what they are spending it on if it’s not for a mutual benefit.

takisawa2

Keep it, under duress, but milk it for every last god damn ounce.

aracer
    Free Member

I recommend getting rid of the old wife before getting a new one

scaled
    Free Member

Get an old bike, borrow one if you have to.

Wheel it out of the shed and declare that you’ve decided to keep the hummer but you’ll replace ‘this’ one, seeing as you never use it.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Wife says I can buy a new bike if I sell my old one!!’ is closed to new replies.